Anyone try Orford Wood Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newf lover

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern CT
Can't find much on them. My sister wouldn't listen to me when I said order pellets early, and now her order of over-priced Okies has been delayed till who knows when. The other offering was Orford, a softwood for $297/ton. The big box stores around her are not offering anything you'd want to heat your house with in the dead of winter. Anybody use these yet?

I somehow missed they were Douglas fir. I tried Ambiance and to be honest, I didn't like them, I thought they were ashy. The Orfords might be worth a shot, though. Of course, it's not my $$$$! I will pass that review on, thanks.

CJs is where her original order was placed. I assume she asked about Turmans since she used some of mine and liked them. CJs must be going crazy, looks like they were expecting some product and it's just not coming. They appear to be out of everything. She also has the option of Cleanfire Pacific from woodpellets.com in her area, with $25 off delivery. That may be an option as well. I never tried them but it looks like the reviews are pretty good. I'll have her check out Long Pond as well, I know they're good to deal with but I don't know if they deliver out where she lives. Decisions, decisions.....

I think Salty had the same issue with no Okies. Not sure what he did to fill his stash. Maybe he'll chime in with a good alternative. Or you could send a PM.

Havent done anything yet. Not thrilled really with the lacretes I felt they were a bit dusty. Plus i can only fit one ton at a time in the van which means I got to handle more than 1/2 a ton twice.

I'm waiting to see if pellets direct gets some spruce points or if the okies finally show up. I'm not holding my breath at this point.

primo pellets in wallingford had a few decent brands in stock. green gold and hamers burned decent in my lennox, i think they were 289 and 245 or something like that, delivery wasnt to bad....30 first ton an 10 each ton after

Havent done anything yet. Not thrilled really with the lacretes I felt they were a bit dusty. Plus i can only fit one ton at a time in the van which means I got to handle more than 1/2 a ton twice.

I'm waiting to see if pellets direct gets some spruce points or if the okies finally show up. I'm not holding my breath at this point.
I just opened my LaCretes and thought the opposite. I dump my bag into a pail to pour them into my hopper and felt that there was next to no dust and hardly any fines in the bottom of he pail. Plus they burn HOT and the ash appears to be low.

Can't find much on them. My sister wouldn't listen to me when I said order pellets early, and now her order of over-priced Okies has been delayed till who knows when. The other offering was Orford, a softwood for $297/ton. The big box stores around her are not offering anything you'd want to heat your house with in the dead of winter. Anybody use these yet?

I have burn them, and I don't recall them being Douglas Fir, But I know I didn't like them so they may be douglas fir now.
Tell u this much once you burn a Douglas fir u will love the heat and hardly any ash

I somehow missed they were Douglas fir. I tried Ambiance and to be honest, I didn't like them, I thought they were ashy. The Orfords might be worth a shot, though. Of course, it's not my $$$$! I will pass that review on, thanks.
Surprised to hear the Ambiance were ashy for you. I just started burning them - so far, they're the lowest ash of any pellet I've used, including VTs: strong heat, long-burning, and almost no fines. When did you try them? I see older mixed reviews on them but recent years all seem positive, many excellent - and that's been my experience.
I've never burned Orfords, but based on the quality of my current batch of Ambiance, I'd try them in a heartbeat if I could get them. Can you get a few bags to burn and post your findings? I'd be interested to hear more impressions on them.

I burned the Ambiance last winter, just 2 bags. My sister tried them as well with the same result. Maybe it was just that batch. I'm pellet hunting for my sister. I have a feeling they will give the Orfords a try. If so, I'll snag a couple bags and test them out and will post my results.

Country Boy is also an option if they have any left?

Just finishing up a 2 bag trial of Country Boy White Lightning here and we are impressed with how clean they burn.....Almost nothing in the ash pan and the least ash in the firebox of any we have tested this season{liggies,greene teams,easy heats,pres-to-logs and these country boys}.....Not as hot as some,but boy are they clean! We are thinking a good shoulder alternative......And the oak burning smells great when walking the dog outside ! 235/ton cash and carry.....

I'm burning the CleanFire Pacifics as we type. Bought these two years ago from www.woodpellets.com. I gotta tell ya these are one of the BEST pellets I've ever burned in my Harman. Almost no ash and hot as "H.E. double hockey sticks". I've never burned Okies due to the price and most anything will burn in Harman and keeps the hosue warm, so I tend to "shy" away from the high priced pellets. I say gett'em if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.