Anyone use a "whip" when blocking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Ok, I'm bored today.
When I first started cutting wood, my buddy put a whip on my saw because I was too inconsistent with the lengths. Anyone use a whip when cutting firewood. ??

mainstation said:
Ok, I'm bored today.
When I first started cutting wood, my buddy put a whip on my saw because I was too inconsistent with the lengths. Anyone use a whip when cutting firewood. ??
I dont most of the wood I do is over 45 in rounds so I cut where i can.(if your not consistent it would be a good tool)

I use a " trip whip ". :cheese: Wood advances on conveyor, hits trip whip (gate), stops conveyor and starts saw into cut simutaneously, wood falls ,resets whip and process starts over again. ;-)

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I use a " trip whip ". :cheese: Wood advances on conveyor, hits trip whip (gate), stops conveyor and starts saw into cut simutaneously, wood falls ,resets whip and process starts over again. ;-)
you got any videos of that sounds cool?

I use the distance from the side handle to bar tip when bucking out in the bush. When processing wood in the yard on skids, I use a measuring stick with notches on it. For smaller stuff, I use a sawbuck.

I use the "aaaand that's about right...that's about right...that's about right...that's about right" method. Get's me close enough to what I need.

I am to cheap to buy one, so a little heavy duty plastic banding, electrical tape, and a hose clamp.

Sawgage1.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/andre_b/House Stuff/Sawgage1.jpg
Sawgage2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/andre_b/House Stuff/Sawgage2.jpg
Sawgage3.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/andre_b/House Stuff/Sawgage3.jpg

I am curious about what it is you are talking about, I'm not able to view the pics on Andre B's post. Anyone else have a pic or description?

This stupid board strips out the %20 and puts in spaces. Just copy/paste the whole line.

I used a whip one day when the wife simply didn't want to work....

The commercial whips I've seen go on the other side of the saw and look like they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

If you're into high tech gadgetry, you could mount two laser pointers and have them converge at the distance you want from the nose of the bar. Just don't use it near an airport.

On the small stuff, I just eyeball it. When I get into anything ~12"+ diameter, I have a mark on the saw body, so I know that from the tip of the bar to the mark is the length I want to cut. Only takes about a second to flip the saw sideways, see where the marks fall, then flip it back to cutting position and let her rip.

I use a simple 17.5" "T" shaped piece of 1/2" PVC pipe left over from some plumbing and a grease pencil, I fell the tree, limb the tree then start at the base and go to marking with the grease pencil and "T". then I cut it on the marks, I don't feel it takes any longer than the "looks about right" method, and it is cheaper than the markers that take $5 a can marking paint, and it is not saw mounted so I can use any saw I have on the fly no switching things from one saw to the other.

You can also make something from scrap. For example you could have a 16" piece (or what length you want) of old moulding or something similar. Start at the butt, lay the marker down and just score a line at the end of the marker with an ax.

Do you have something longer? How about a 4' length notched at 16" and 32" and you can mark 3 cuts before moving the marker. Quick, easy and cheap.

Backwoods Savage said:
Do you have something longer? How about a 4' length notched at 16" and 32" and you can mark 3 cuts before moving the marker. Quick, easy and cheap.
I have an 80 inch long stick with notches every 20 inches. I lay out a dozen or so logs on skids, place the measure stick in the middle, and score marks across all the logs every 20 inches.

Not as cheap but I use surveyor paint (upside down can) and a precut stick the length of wood I would like and work my way down the log pile. Generally I can mark up to 3 or 4 logs on one pass down the pile then I run the saw full bore non stop, this has been the fastest and most consistent for me. It has a slight advantage over the lumber crayon in that you can squirt a spot in tight places. I have tried using a whip but I think it slows bucking down too much.

I like to buck at 16". I take a piece of scrap wood, like 2"x1/4" molding or whatever, about 36" long, mark it with a sharpie at 16", then use that as a guide to go along the length of the log and mark the log using a little 14" Fiskars hatchet. It goes quickly. I can mark a 20' log in no time. Then I just start bucking. Yes, sometimes I hit the stick with the hatchet, but not too often. When the stick's finally done dancin', it's kindling and I mark up a new one. Works for me. My cousin pooh-poohs my method, bucks by eye, and guess who comes out with the least variation in lengths of rounds? :coolsmirk:

I'm happy if I'm anywhere between 16" and 18". I check against a mark on the bar every so often to see if I'm in range. I burn most of my wood, so it seems a waste to spend too much time measuring it. :coolsmirk:

madrone said:
I'm happy if I'm anywhere between 16" and 18". I check against a mark on the bar every so often to see if I'm in range. I burn most of my wood, so it seems a waste to spend too much time measuring it. :coolsmirk:

Except when it ends up a little too long for the stove and has to be recut :(

If I hold a piece of sidewalk chalk like I hold a pencil, the distance from my elbow to the chalk tip is 16 inches. I just put my elbow in the line and make a mark, then on to the next mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.