Anyone use cathodic protection to increase life of boiler???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2009
WI
Does anyone use cathodic protection on their boiler to increase the boiler life? Either passive or active system anodes??

I use both at work in various systems but never on a boiler. A closed system would never need it. Even an "open" system doesn't have the water turnover to need it, especially when not using dissimiliar metals.

Mike

Jim K in PA said:
GARNs come with two ~.5" diam. x ~30" long magnesium rods for corrosion protection.

That explains why they last so long. Or at least what I've heard from some folks. Are you aware of any Garns that have failed in the first 10 years? What is the life expectancy of the anodes? Can they be replaced?

if you lift the manway cover off the garn you can inspect, viewing through the water, they are replaceable from the outside, replacement time depends on water condition monitoring and adjustment

Jim K in PA said:
GARNs come with two ~.5" diam. x ~30" long magnesium rods for corrosion protection.

I stand corrected though the Garn is in a class almost by itself with integral storage. I would like to know if more conventional designs would use anodes. Has anyone actually ever changed the anode in the Garn and what is the expected frequency? I have read where flammable gas (hydrogen?) can build up in water heaters that may have been left unused for sometime. Carefull flushing is required. I haven't personally experienced this.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.