Anyone used any of these to move?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well, my future wife will be moving to the cave here with me next Summer.
She is completely cross the country in WA state, as I am here in PA.
I looked into Pods(expensive) and other similar companies using smallish storage containers.
We would prolly need at least 3 of these and not very keen on the cost.
I did find a company that uses a 28' pup semi trailer, and you pay for the space you use. I am guessing we will use at least half, if not a little more. I am in the process of trying to get her to purge some stuff. Mattress, washer/dryer etc. As we have those here already. The quote right now is about $4,000.00.
They drop the trailer off wherever you need it to be, give 3 days to load, and then have 7 days to deliver it to my house, park it, and 3 more days given to unload.
I like this idea, just hating the cost. Will be relying on my tax return. Plus I have to fly out and rent a trailer to tote her Harley back to PA. I might be better off to buy a small trailer at a Lowes or somewhere out there and just use that to pull the bike back home.
Looking for ideas on the most economical way to move her stuff out.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Hogz

I have a bunch of stuff here in Bend OR that needs to go to my daughter down in Albuquerque NM. I'm guessing it's ~400lbs, so a good deal smaller load than you're talking about. I remembered that when we were arranging our move from Virginia to here back in 2007 I explored uShip thinking I might hire someone through there to move my Harley. Turned out I didn't need to do that back then, but I went back to uShip recently and contracted with a transport company to pick up this load of stuff and take it down to New Mexico for what I think is a fair price, all things considered. The majors, like United Van Lines, et. al. have minimum load weights (usually at least 1,000 lbs) before they're even interested in talking with you. Anyway, you might explore uShip for either the household goods, or the bike or both. Basically, you place a description of the goods, origin and destination in an ad almost like doing an eBay thing, and then the folks who make their living shuttling other people's junk around the country submit bids on your job. Take it or leave it, no obligation. Dunno, might be worth a shot. Good luck my friend. Rick

http://www.uship.com/

There are some moving companies that will take smaller loads. I found them cheaper than PODS or the like and they did the work. I hate working with movers though. The business model is designed to take advantage of the fact that they have your worldly goods at their disposal. That and it really pisses me off to have to remind movers, on more than one occasion, that I'm not paying them $75/hr to talk to me :mad:

Google something like "small shipment movers" or similar, and you'll get a plethora of hits to peruse. Rick

I know that cross-country moving companies will load multiple household in their largest semi-trailers. I asked once at a jobsite and the driver said he had 3 households packed into that trailer. I believe that shipping this way is based on logistics of other people moving to your area, or in the next state perhaps. I am not sure what the cost would be, but it may be worth inquiring.

Here is a link to help ya.

http://movingquote.unitedvanlines.c...296&cmv=true&visitor=aNYRWt9zJHD7u7ILqjVplA==

Congratulations on your engagement, and best wishes for your future life together.

Agree with you--$4K a lot for things you won't need here--ship the irreplaceables, and CL the rest, and take her on a honeymoon with some of the savings. Life is too short to spend hauling stuff from place to place. But the critical piece here is that she doesn't agree. Maybe as she thinks things through, and balances the costs of shipping vs. what she can make selling it, she'll let go of some of the stuff. It's a big change, and those possessions might be her way of working through the changes.

snowleopard said:
Congratulations on your engagement, and best wishes for your future life together.

Agree with you--$4K a lot for things you won't need here--ship the irreplaceables, and CL the rest, .

ditto to all of this! I will never move much stuff again.

Hogs, I have friends in Eagle Creek (they run the horse rescue, they transported Matisse X country & I picked up in Jersey). They make a run usually about this time ( they've left already). They transport all kinds of things, cows, puppies (brought me Murphy, too).

They won't be making a run until next year, but if there is some thing that can wait, that might be an option.

If some how my truck & goose neck can help you, let me know. I'll do my best.

Congrats Hogs !! Mr "I want to be single" %-P

Congrats - if in order - but, as you are finding out. it's gonna cost ya
:coolsmile:

$3-4K is the usual price of a cross country truckload - even from way back when I bought stoves from the factory at Travis....

But, if a good price can be found, it can be found at the "ebay" like site called U-ship. You can go there and look at the bids for similar load to see if things are out of line.

I was wondering about the outcome since you posted some time ago that you were planning on proposing . . . but since you didn't mention anything I figured I would be good and not ask how things went. Congrats Hog.

I just did a little poking around on uShip, and it looks like a lot of motorcycles have been moved perfectly safely across the country for ~$500 - $600. Rick

For The bike might try 1-888-haulbikes, this all they do. they have a web sight also

Uhaul from Seattle to Philly with 10 days to do it is $1400. Even if you spent $1500 in gas and tolls, you save a grand. Tow her car and you get some quality time too.

SolarAndWood said:
Uhaul from Seattle to Philly with 10 days to do it is $1400. Even if you spent $1500 in gas and tolls, you save a grand. Tow her car and you get some quality time too.

That's not a bad idea if you don't mind the driving.

I helped a friend move from east coast to west with a smallish uhaul, her dog with us, and her car on a dolly. We took turns driving and had an awesome time. It took us 4 days and we saw a little of everywhere we stopped and a little more of the Grand Canyon where we spend most of a day. I don't know what it cost her but I know for sure it wasn't $4000!

If you do one of those "rent space in a truck" things, do a bunch of your packing into rubbermaid containers with lids that seal. Had a friend in the military who moved and the truck caught fire or something but anything that was in one of those sealing bins ended up OK.

SolarAndWood said:

Yup. This would be the cheapest way and the coolest. Will just take some planning and time. But would be a cool thing to do. Nothing like a little road trip. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.