anyone using 4" pipe vs 3" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Is there any benefits? That would justify me changing mine from 3-4?
I currently have
3"
Out stove into 90 up 1 ft. Another 90 out 2'

Thinking
Out stove to 45 up ft to another 45 out 2ft all 4 inch

iceman said:
Is there any benefits? That would justify me changing mine from 3-4?
I currently have
3"
Out stove into 90 up 1 ft. Another 90 out 2'

Thinking
Out stove to 45 up ft to another 45 out 2ft all 4 inch

No as long as you are within the guidelines set by the manufacturer.

What's Harman's spec on EVL? If its 15ft, then you right at the threshold.
If you count your Termination cap, and its a 45. Then it would be as follows.
2-90's= 10ft
2ft Horz= 2ft
1ft Vert= .5ft
Term cap= 2.5
Grand total of 15ft..... Again that's adding the Term cap.. May or may not benefit from it. Does it burn good now? You have a pretty short run, but it adds up quick.

DexterDay said:
2-90's= 10ft
2ft Horz= 2ft
1ft Vert= .5ft
Term cap= 2.5
Grand total of 15ft..... Again that's adding the Term cap.. May or may not benefit from it. Does it burn good now? You have a pretty short run, but it adds up quick.

It's been burning bad as of late but think that's another problem, I just want this thing to work less and last longer ...

I will just put 45s on and see if it helps

Wish you luck.. I direct vent out the back. Less then 3ft total 3" pipe. With the Term cap, I have a 12' EVL.. 45 out of stove to a 90, straight out the wall 2' Horz and a 45 Term cap. Amazing how fast it adds up... Some people don't count the cap, (horizontal exit only) but its still an angle and the exhaust has to travel through it the same way it goes through any other angle.

DexterDay said:
Wish you luck.. I direct vent out the back. Less then 3ft total 3" pipe. With the Term cap, I have a 12' EVL.. 45 out of stove to a 90, straight out the wall 2' Horz and a 45 Term cap. Amazing how fast it adds up... Some people don't count the cap, (horizontal exit only) but its still an angle and the exhaust has to travel through it the same way it goes through any other angle.

I hope this helps some
Thanks!

4" is standard where I am, for anything, due to the altitude.

I use 4" Selkirk PL vent pipe, 4" PL vent pipe was required as per the Fahrenheit furnace installation manual. I read about people using 3" pipe with the Fahrenheit furnaces having major burn issues. Pipe diameter should be specified within the manufacturer's installation manual, though I'm not sure whether or not a larger 4" PL vent pipe would cause any harm as an upgrade to 3", but you can't go the other way around (4" to 3") if 4" is listed as a requirement for exhaust.

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 242
  • SelKirkDVwithOAK.jpg
    SelKirkDVwithOAK.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 294
DexterDay said:
2-90's= 10ft
2ft Horz= 2ft
1ft Vert= .5ft
Term cap= 2.5
Grand total of 15ft..... Again that's adding the Term cap..

Termination cap is not usually included in EVL, so his total is only 12.5, which is no problem for 3" pipe.

imacman said:
DexterDay said:
2-90's= 10ft
2ft Horz= 2ft
1ft Vert= .5ft
Term cap= 2.5
Grand total of 15ft..... Again that's adding the Term cap..

Termination cap is not usually included in EVL, so his total is only 12.5, which is no problem for 3" pipe.
I don't believe he ever stated whether he had a "rocket", 45, or 90 Termination. It may not be counted, but when terminating horizontally. Wouldn't you have to take in a little consideration, that the blower still has to force the air down and out if using a 45 or 90 at the end? Again I am probably wrong, but its just food for thought. Even though its the "End" of the pipe. It still has to push it through the turn. And by blowing Down, (especially a 90) would thereby increase resistance? Have not been burning nowhere near as long as you have, and I learn something new almost every day. My 3 yrs in comparison to guys like J-takeman, yourself, and many others is a grain of sand on the beach. Always take your advice and listen to your words of knowledge. But isn't resistance, resistance? Again, I have been wrong before, and will be wrong many more times down the road. But it has the gears in my head turning.

DexterDay said:
I don't believe he ever stated whether he had a "rocket", 45, or 90 Termination. It may not be counted, but when terminating horizontally. Wouldn't you have to take in a little consideration, that the blower still has to force the air down and out if using a 45 or 90 at the end?.......

Even if you added another 2-3 to the EVL, he will probably be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.