Anyone using a Gardus SootEater to clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Just received my Gardu SootEater from UPS......been waiting for this day.

All the reviews I have read from several sources have good things to say about this product, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used this and what your experiences have been.

I appreciate the help.

Do a search for "sooteater". Lots here.

Thanks, Brother. I will.

Yes, I own and have used the sooteater just about around fall, it works excellent, i was skeptical at first but like you read all the positive reviews. Not having to get up on a ladder is also a bonus point in my book, I ended up buying 2 kits as buying the extension rods by themselves is a little costly in my opinion, now I have spare parts just in case. but it does as advertised and I have high praise for a product that performs as advertised

Have it. Use it. Like it a lot. Rick

Bought it last spring, used it last fall, paid for itself 3 times over after using it once. Got less than a half gallon of soot after two seasons without cleaning. One tip cut the plastic and tape it on the stove I tried to use magnets over multiple folded layers, the instructions may say this but I lost mine before I used it. Was easy to use and worked great.

Brian

I thought I got my gadget buying over three years ago. But I guess I am going to have to get one of these things.

fossil said:
Have it. Use it. Like it a lot. Rick

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Works great use between sweeps from the top every year and a half. I use it from the bottom

Does it do much of a job on the chimney cap/screen?

I used cordless Drill two Charged Batteries works when powers off

WidowMaker said:
Doesn't do anything a standard chimney brush won't do and requires electricty

Cordless drill. Big deal. I keep the batteries charged anyway. Rick

Kenster said:
Does it do much of a job on the chimney cap/screen?

I'm careful to keep track of how many of the 3' rods I've attached as I go up (I use it from the bottom up on both of my stoves). I can tell when I've reached the cap, and just bump it gently around in there a few times. My caps and screens have never had a problem with getting clogged, anyway, but yes, this thing will keep you from having to go up on the roof to clean the cap/screen...unless you're really anal about the inevitable soot deposits near the top of the chimney. Rick

I can't see how the thing could help but do a better job than a chimney brush on a corrugated chimney liner. It should clean out the stuff in the grooves that brushes miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.