Anyone work logging camps near Escanaba MI?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I am a tour director and beginning tomorrow will be leading a tour out of Milwaukee called "Around Lake Michigan." By Thursday we will be in the U.P. and taking a tour of a logging operation. It's the first time we've done this on this tour. I, for one, am really looking forward to this. Just curious if any of you work that area? I believe the company is "Nelson Logging."

Don't work there but we camped there many years ago, at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I remember there was a sand slope from the bluffs above down to the shore of Lake Superior, called "Log Slide."

Woody, Escanaba is on Lake Michigan. Pictured Rocks is on Lake Superior, about an hour or so drive north of Escanaba. Pretty close, though.

Kenster said:
Woody, Escanaba is on Lake Michigan. Pictured Rocks is on Lake Superior, about an hour or so drive north of Escanaba. Pretty close, though.
Right. On the way back, my Pinto wagon fried a bearing and the rear axle started to separate from the vehicle. :bug:
The mechanic had to drive to Escanaba for parts.

When I was a kid, family friends had a cabin north of Menominee/Marinette, on the Menominee River. He was an old Finn, and they had a wood-fired sauna (SOW-na) :) We'd steam out for a while, then go jump in the river. He was quite the outdoorsman, and also had tree-climbing gear. I'll never forget the days I spent in that wonderful Pine forest. If you've never seen that area, Ken, you're in for a real treat. Sounds like it'll be a very interesting tour.
:coolsmile:

I lead two or three tours through there every year. Of all the tours I do each year, in the U.S. and international, This one is at the top of my favorites list.
It's just that this logging operation stop is new for the tour this year. And, of course, I have a personal interest in it. I certainly couldn't call myself a logger but I do fell cut up trees on a much smaller scale..

Kenster said:
I certainly couldn't call myself a logger but I do fell cut up trees on a much smaller scale..
Yeah, but we can dream, can't we? :)
That sounds like a great job with lots of opportunity to check out places you've never seen before.
You're certainly heading North at the right time of year...nice respite from the TX heat!

Don't know logging camps in that area but there is a great bar called Hereford and Hops. They make their own beer but best of all, there is a big open pit BBQ in the middle of the restaurant where you drink beer and cook your own steaks. It's defiantly worth a visit.

Ken, it's been too long since I lived there so can't direct you to a mill but you might want to see some of the yards that the paper mill has. If you are heading east you should see a couple. One that sticks in my mind is by Gulliver, which is east of Manistique. It is a big one. I'm thinking there is another along US-2 between Rapid River and Nahma Jct. (Highway 13). Sad to say it has been so long since we've been there but maybe we can fix that later this summer or next fall. I love the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

There is another big yard at Gladstone, just east of Escanaba. They load railcars there, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.