Apple?? ID..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Pretty certain this is apple. How long for seasoning for apple?

Attachments

• tree60.jpg
    tree60.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 354
Not sure if it's apple or not. I was always told that apple was 1-2 years minimum. I cut down a nice size apple and have it stacked up waiting for a couple of years.

Nope its Mulberry.Bright yellowish coarse textured wood with sometimes irregular grain,coarse furrowed bark. Not quite as good as Apple,but about the same density as Red/Black Oak.

Excellent fuel,can be tough to split at times.Well worth it though.Dries quicker than most all Oaks But what doesnt lol

Thistle said:
Nope its Mulberry.Bright yellowish coarse textured wood with sometimes irregular grain,coarse furrowed bark. Not quite as good as Apple,but about the same density as Red/Black Oak.

Excellent fuel,can be tough to split at times.Well worth it though.Dries quicker than most all Oaks But what doesnt lol
+1

I don't see Mulbery very often, so maybe I don't recognize it, but I'd say it is ornamental pear - aka Callery Pear or Bradford Pear. It does not look like apple.

Wood Duck said:
I don't see Mulbery very often, so maybe I don't recognize it, but I'd say it is ornamental pear - aka Callery Pear or Bradford Pear. It does not look like apple.

+1

All but certain this is an apple. The tree is 30+ inches dbh. I hunted the field this is in all my life and the deer are always hanging under it feeding. It is 30 feet tall and has multiple trunks from 8-10 feet up. Those trunks are 12 inches and up in diameter. The wood on the ground was one branch and is just under 1/3 cord.

mywaynow said:
All but certain this is an apple. The tree is 30+ inches dbh. I hunted the field this is in all my life and the deer are always hanging under it feeding. It is 30 feet tall and has multiple trunks from 8-10 feet up. Those trunks are 12 inches and up in diameter. The wood on the ground was one branch and is just under 1/3 cord.

If it had apples its an apple, but I am use to seeing a smoother bark and darker hartwood.

mywaynow said:
The size/shape description of the tree also leads me to believe Mulberry. But they wouldn't have fruit on them around deer season. They normally fruit around July or so.

1 year should be plenty to season apple.

That is mulberry. Quite common & can grow fairly large. Burns nice.
It has that distinct yellowish color when you split it. Ornamental pear has
An orangish color.

leave that split out in the sun for a few days if that yellow heartwood turns to a golden brow its defiantly mulberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.