Appling County Pellets (FRAM) Disaster...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIpelletpig

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
Long Island, NY
Well after my first season with my Harman Accentra Insert I started the year-end cleaning today. As we all know pellet prices are relatively HIGH and there is not much we can do about it. Average price for a ton on Long Island right now is $335. I've received quotes from $280 up to $359 per ton. Mind you the $280 per ton is Appling County Pellets without delivery. I burned Country Boy All OAk Pellets for most of the season and also sampled Rocky Mountain, Lignetics, American Wood Fibers and Energex (Hardwood). About a month ago I thought I would give Appling County a try since there is a local dealer here on the Island selling a ton relatively cheap. What a mistake!!!! I found with only burning 4 bags of these pellets that my stove was dirtier and totally black inside the firebox area then ever before. Mind you during the height of the burning season I cleaned my stove and heat exchangers every 2 weeks and never had a build of sappy creosate on my exchangers that I had after burning the Appling County Pellets. I can't beleive what these pellets did to my stove. I had to use a biodegradable/non-flammable degreaser to clean the entire inside of my stove. It was terrible! This is not taking in to account what the exhaust pipe might look like or exhaust motor fan/blades. I didn't have time to pull the stove out yet and start breaking it down in the rear. That's for another day. I am not one to complain but these pellets are unacceptable in my opinion. So take a bit of warning and spend your money if your going to burn pellets this coming year on "quality pellets". It might cost you a few extra dollars but you'll be happier in the long run!

One last note....This is the greatest site. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also had a bad experience with the Appling County Pellets (ACP). I learned my lesson earlier in the season, so I stayed away from them. My experience was like yours. I never saw so much ash buildup from just a few bags. These things seem to be everywhere around lower PA and their always the cheapest brand being sold. Now we know why. I know that I will stay away from them unless they are all there is available. Even though they are inexpensive, you would have to clean your stove every several bags.

I agree with your final note. This is a great site, great folks, lots of information, laughs, and an occasional rant. Everyone have a great summer and a safe one.

I have found it is better NOT to sell JUNK. That includes stoves, PELLETS, vent pipe, or whatever. It is easier to have a product that cost a few dollars more than have an unhappy customer.

Eric

ACP tried them and your right they were horrible, only used 4 bags but man did they make a mess. They also smell terrible why would they smell bad??? i wonder. I am burning dry creek for now and it was a wonderful 21 degrees this morning... Man warm up will ya...

I think the ACP's were available when nothing else was.....so, with some dealers, it was "any port in a storm"......either sell the ACP's, or sell none at all......also, they were cheaper than others....as you know, it costs to truck or rail pellets, and with the economy, MANY folks are using the cost of the pellets as their main criterion in chosing product. I think its ok to sell them, as long as the salesperson is honest with the buyer. How good are they? Not so good......they burn dirty......let the buyer decide whether they can use them or not....why not try a few bags and decide for oneself. If a buyer can buy a pellet at, 21y, $249/ton which is unknown, or a pellet thats GREAT at $300/ton, which one do you think they are going to buy? Thats right.....

ACP did change their pellet. as a dealer for Harman, Lopi and Napoleon it is one of the best pellets we've burned in our shop. Ash content is just under .7% so it is a little higher than a really good hard wood pellet. but for their price they are hard to beat. we can get them shipped to our shop for less than all our other sources before freight! i strongly recommend them. i say def worth a second chance. there is my 2 cents :)

Josh5339 said:
ACP did change their pellet. as a dealer for Harman, Lopi and Napoleon it is one of the best pellets we've burned in our shop. just don't get the bags w/8200 BTU/lbs. those were the bad ones. Ash content is just under .07% so it is a little higher than a really good hard wood pellet. but for their price they are hard to beat. we can get them shipped to our shop for less than all our other sources before freight! i strongly recommend them. i say def worth a second change. there is my 2 cents :)

Josh,

I see you are in PA, but exactly where are you located? Currently, what brands do you have in stock?

Steve

just an update. i was mistaken about the 8200 BTUs/lb bag. i thought ours were 8500 but they are 8200. so 8200 bags are the same ones we have which work well. sorry for confusion!

PS to pellet pig, we are in Chambersburg area. all we carry currently is ACP. we have carried Hamer, Lignetics, GreenTeam, Clean Fire etc., etc list goes on. most of our hard wood mills were really ashy toward end of season which is why we switched. ACP has full time quality team making sure mixtures are consistent and we liked that aspect of the company.

Josh5339 said:
just an update. i was mistaken about the 8200 BTUs/lb bag. i thought ours were 8500 but they are 8200. so 8200 bags are the same ones we have which work well. sorry for confusion!

PS to pellet pig, we are in Chambersburg area. all we carry currently is ACP. we have carried Hamer, Lignetics, GreenTeam, Clean Fire etc., etc list goes on. most of our hard wood mills were really ashy toward end of season which is why we switched. ACP has full time quality team making sure mixtures are consistent and we liked that aspect of the company.

What's the name of your shop if you don't mind posting it?

I am about 45 minutes away from you (just south of Gettysburg). I get over your way every so often and I could stop in and say hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.