Appling County Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
I see these pellets are being advertised as 8500 btu, I bought 10 bags to try and on the bag it states 8200 btu's. I've searched online curious if they sell different grades but have had no luck. So are these pellets 8200 or 8500 btu? has anyone seen or used the 8500 but ACP?

Thanks

I bought several bags of them. I did not care for them. As far as the BTUs, I guess you have to go by what's printed on the bag. I usually concern myself with how well they burn in my stove rather then worrying about a few BTUs. Most pellets range from the high 7,000 btu to low-mid 8,000 btus.

PelletSales.com has a fuel comparison chart at: http://www.pelletsales.com/types-of-products/fuel-characteristics-comparison.aspx

If you search the forum for Appling County Pellets you will find quite a few reviews. Some good, some bad. I am at work right now so I can't vouch for what the BTU rating was on my bags.

I could put up with a little more ash with a higher btu output! Hamer Hot Ones gave me 3 degrees more than any other brand. Disappointed they won't be available this year. Hamers and Lignetics I believe are rated 8700 btu or higher. Years past I found Cubex were excellent but can't get them anymore. Tried Energx few years back and they produced clinkers for me anyways. Don't remember what grade but they were listed as premium. I hate paying the same price (plus or minus 10.00 per ton) for a pellet with low heat output, 50.00 per ton cheaper maybe, but not 10.00! I have seen the chart, thanks

Good Luck

Well, I guess your right as far as not wanting to pay the same price for pellets with less btus than those with higher btus. I have to remind myself that most folks are probably cranking their stove up for lots of heat, where mine is more of a supplemntal heat source, so I have not been to concerned about the btus.

If I remember right (too lazy to search my own posts right now- lol) they gave off decent heat when I burned them, I just had an issue with the smell and the extra ash. I still want to try the Hamers and Lignetics, but my season has pretty well come to an end. Maybe I can get some for next year.

I recently tried the Appling County Pellets.
Local dealer lists them as 8200 btu, and the
bag states 8200 btu per lb.

Regardless of all that, they burned well and produced
good heat with no clinkers. The ash was a little bit more
than I'm used to and more than I would like,
but that's not a big deal to me since my stove has a huge ashpan.
The pellets were cut smaller than many other brands I've tried,
the fines in the bag were a little more than I would like but
not too bad.

I prefer Barefoot, Lignetics, and NEWP when I can get them.
The only thing that I didn't like about these is that they smell funny.
However, this wouldn't stop me from buying them if I needed pellets and
these were all that was available.

Surfing the net I've noticed a lot of bad reviews on these.
My stove is pretty tough. 11 pellet brands tried to date and I can honestly
say that this stove has burned them all with no ill effects.
Best bet is to give them a try to see how they work in your particular stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.