Appling County - Softwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletdude

Feeling the Heat
Can someone with good knowledge confirm that APC is now producing a 100 % softwood pellet. I have burned some over the winter that were very good and was told that this spring there will be a softwood version that will be excellent.

Currently they are a mixture of hardwood and pine. I cannot find anything on their site that indicates they have a 100% softwood labeled product. I am glad to hear that your burn experience with ACP has been good. Myself and others have not had such an experience. Reading through many of the reviews on these pellets, it seems to be good batches and bad batches floating around. If you are looking to purchase more, make sure you try a few bags out of the lot that you are looking to purchase from.

Yea.....just looked at a bag, just says "hardwood Blend"....and thats right off the delivery truck, 2 days ago. Im told its a mix of hardwood and softwood. And yes, certainly, the qualities of any pellet vary with the quality of the raw material. i wish folks would get off the hardwood versus softwood thing, and look at the actual analyses.....here in New England, everyone wants hardwood........lemme tell ya, Ive burned some GREAT softwoods.....

Lousyweather said:
I wish folks would get off the hardwood versus softwood thing, and look at the actual analyses.....here in New England, everyone wants hardwood........lemme tell ya, Ive burned some GREAT softwoods.....

I think that comes from the wood burners not burning pine because it soots up the chimney. Most of the wood burners are now pellet burners!

I remember a few years back, I purchased some Stove Chow(out of business now) pellets from Blue Seal Feeds. They we shipped a few tons of 100% Pondurosa Pine pellets(don't remember the brand). They couldn't sell them here! I picked them up cheap and Man they burned hotter than the Stove Chow pellets that we supposed to be the best at that time! My old Quad seemed to love them.

I have also burned pine horse bedding when that was all I could find(During the 2001 pellet shortage) I didn't have a problem burning them either. Burned hot and pretty clean.

If they sold more of them here in CT, I'd burn them. Just seems that everyone wants the hardwoods.

Just my 2centsworth!

Jay

Guys, your right about the softwood/ hardwood argument. It all comes down to dryness, when wood is cut and processed the compensation changes. In most cases I've seen softwood burn a little hotter than the hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.