Ardisam "Cumberland MF3800" Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been selling and installing Cumberlands since 2008. Was advised by the guys at Ardisam to stick to simple mili-volt thermostats as they had been seeing issues with remote and programable thermostats. This was as of Summer 2009.
Another thought...you can use up to 30 feet of phone cord to move the controller further away from the stove and continue using the "Local T-stat" setting.

Regardless of what route you take, remember to check the burn pot daily and remove any ash build up. Failure to do so can cause the upper half of the burn pot to warp. So far Cumberland will warranty it once per customer, but after that you're on your own. I've seen some customers burn a pot out in a year and some are still on their original pot since 2008.

Any questions your dealer can't answer don't be afraid to contact Cumberland through their website...they are very friendly and helpful. Tell them Joe in Erie sent you!

Happy burning!

i have the mf 3650. i like it better then my harman accentra. it puts out more heat and burns less pellets. i have to clean the burnpot daily, the harman can go about 3 days. both need weekly cleaning. the weekly and semi annual cleanings are much easier on the cumberland. it just breaksdown much easier.

Hey 3650!
I have a 3650 in the back of our shop. We recieved 2 units before the 3800s began shipping. I'm sure you know but be careful of the auger button. Had a customer accidently push the auger key and overfired their stove. I ended up rebuilding it and am waiting for the right place to put it. (this has been addressed on the 3700 and 3800, auger only runs for one minute)
Happy to hear you say you prefer your 3650 to your Harman as the local Harman guy is only 2 miles down the road from us! (Not that I have much bad to say about Harman, they're good stoves overall)
Happy burning.

yeh i caught that right off the bat. i pushed the feed button thinking it stopped when i let off of it. i stepped away for a few minutes, when i looked back there were some big flames and i couldnt understand why the auger was still running. i open the hopper lid to stop the auger and realized i had to push that feed button again to end the function. so no harm done. i should have studied the manual a bit more before lighting. that could have been a big issue.

what problems were they seeing with programables? did they have the same problems with 3650's?

You'd have to call Ardisam and ask about the 3650's and programable thermorstats. We only recieved two 3650's prior to getting the 3800's, one burns in our warehouse and the other is the one we eventually rebuilt and haven't reinstalled yet.

While doing factory training at Ardisam we were advised to tell customers to avoid programables and stick with simple thermostats. I don't know all the details but the 3700 and 3800 models have an interface module that runs everything. Essentially the stove has a mini computer that runs everything. Apparently programables could cause the stove to get "confused."

The stove also doesn't like being plugged into an outlet with a bad ground (an easy fix, but was a PITA to diagnose the first time I saw it). And (again not sure if this applies to the 3650) the new stoves cannot be run off of generators that don't auto regulate the voltage. I've not seen this, but I understand its a common issue with more sensitive electronics and generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.