Are 3 - 90 degree elbows ok for p68?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moke

Mar 31, 2010
Just got a p68, not set up yet. (New home that's not finished). New to this whole pellet stove thing and thought i'd come here for advice. It will be set up in my basement and it looks like i might have 3- 90 degree bends when it's all said and done. It either says in the manual 2- 90's or as few as possible (I forget which). If it is 3 will i be ok? Thanks

You might want to post this in the Pellet section, but I am puzzled how you would need three elbows like that. Most situations you might go up from the stove, turn the 90 into your heath wall, then turn 90 up the chimney/flue. How you you require 3 90s? Unless you have a very tall chimney to suck that air flow up, I would think 3 90s would create a smoke problem for you. Although, one guy installed a Pacific Energy Fusion in his house with 3 90s and it apparently worked out okay for him. He posted pictures in his thread. He went up, turned 90, went lateral, turned 90 lateral again into the wall, then 90 up. I'd have gone 45 from the stove to the wall and then the 90 in and up.

Thanks..I'm a new guy here. After posting it i realized it prob wasn't the right place. But to answer you i'll have the stove in my basement (where stove will be placed is underground about 7'), will have to come out from stove(90 #1) up about 7' (approx), turn 90 (#2) to go thru a block wall then it will be under my back deck. Not too sure what to do from here. I assume i'll have to turn 90 again and run it up so far. Again, new to this whole thing. Thanks

Yikes. Coming out under you deck? When you get it done, please post a picture. I'd love to see how you work it all out and if it drafts okay.

moke said:
Thanks..I'm a new guy here. After posting it i realized it prob wasn't the right place. But to answer you i'll have the stove in my basement (where stove will be placed is underground about 7'), will have to come out from stove(90 #1) up about 7' (approx), turn 90 (#2) to go thru a block wall then it will be under my back deck. Not too sure what to do from here. I assume i'll have to turn 90 again and run it up so far. Again, new to this whole thing. Thanks

If your cap is 18" above ground & 12" below your deck, you should
be able to terminate with an adjustable jet cap aimed slightly downwards.
No need for any additional rise in vent, & you can stay at 3".
If you need additional clearance below the cap to get the 18", you can always dig.

Thanks..That's what someone who has installed a few told me today..Thought i was gonna have to have the last rise vertical but i guess not..Problem solved!! Feel alot better about keeping it there for efficiency purposes.

You really need to come off the back of the stove with a "T" and not a 90. The "T" will allow you to clean out the exhaust system by taking off the bottom clean out cap. This cap is where most of us put in the pipe cleaning brush. If you put in a 90 off the back of the stove you will need to take it off when it comes time for cleaning. You are also going to need a stove adapter fitting to go from the stove to the "T", or 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.