Are stihl chainsaws getting fat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webie

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Have you all noticed that the new model stihls are gaining like about a half a pound over the previous models they are replacing . Does anyone no why the weight gain ? Are these new saws improvements worth it over there old ancestors ? I know my 361 is light years ahead over my 360 just in antivibration and saw balance .

Webie,
From what I've heard, the new 'strato' saw designs have more parts to make EPA regulations--while they can provide a bit more power, they also add more weight.

S

got to take a step back before you can move forward.

2-MS180’s ,024 ,026 ,MS260PRO,MS360,MS361, MS460 with that line up you will be able to weather the storm quite nice

smokinjay said:

2-MS180’s ,024 ,026 ,MS260PRO,MS360,MS361, MS460 with that line up you will be able to weather the storm quite nice
heck they will out last me

webie said:
smokinjay said:

heck they will out last me

yes sir you should have grand kids bragging about your saws!

smokinjay said:

Besides when I seen it comeing I ditched the 440 and grabbed a 460 , Just cant beat that power to weight ratio on that saw.
Now I am wondering if I should be looking at that sweet little MS200 , I could drop my bottom 3 saws for that guy . No not really I cant part with my 024 It was my first Stihl , little bugger is over 25 years of age .

webie said:
smokinjay said:

Besides when I seen it comeing I ditched the 440 and grabbed a 460 , Just cant beat that power to weight ratio on that saw.
Now I am wondering if I should be looking at that sweet little MS200 , I could drop my bottom 3 saws for that guy . No not really I cant part with my 024 It was my first Stihl , little bugger is over 25 years of age .

I know I am 200t for me is a must have this year kinda saw........

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:

If you go that route , do a 16 inch bar and stihl make a low pro 3/8 non safety chain , agressive round tooth chain , cuts like crazy on the 180's . My old man has had one of my 180's for about 5 year now . Retired he loves it cutting half the wood for the rest of the family , I didnt think you could put 5 gallons of gas in a 180 in a year ???

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:

If you go that route , do a 16 inch bar and stihl make a low pro 3/8 non safety chain , agressive round tooth chain , cuts like crazy on the 180's . My old man has had one of my 180's for about 5 year now . Retired he loves it cutting half the wood for the rest of the family , I didnt think you could put 5 gallons of gas in a 180 in a year ???

I had a brand new 180 didnt like it you have to wait on power also dont like the 260....I am shooting for the 200t and most likely roll with a 13 in. bar...All my chains a full chiesl round ground and hand shape rakers.

Actually I think my 026 has more power than the MS260 pro , but then I hardly ever use the pro my girlfreind uses that. I kinda like the 180's remind me of a string trimmer every time I start one .
I see you cant get just the MS260 just the pro model so I am thinking this saw is close to the chopping block . 026 , 260 is one old saw , I know its got to be at least 25 years old .

Status
Not open for further replies.