Are the Bixbys pellet/corn stoves as bad as I have read?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rxwoman1961

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2020
SE Nebraska
Hello,
I have been trying to find a pellet/corn stove all fall. My daughter bought a used Harman for $200 from someone in Kansas a few years ago and they have never had any issues with it. Since I live in a drafty, poorly insulated 130 yr old farmhouse in the country by myself, I'm giving up on my 1960 Siegler oil stove and trying to choose a pellet/corn stove instead. I really love the look of the Bixby, and I've seen several for sale in my area, but everything I've read about them says they're a nightmare! Who on this forum has one and what has been your experience? Btw, I'm leaning towards a St. Croix Auburn or Prescott ( dealer told me they're basically the same) but I'm having trouble finding a used one for a reasonable price( $500-$600 max ) or close enough to me that I can make the trip in one day.

Thank you.

Hard to ho wrong with a St Croix Prescott or Auburn. Very simple and efficient stoves. Just have to use leaf blower on exhaust every ton of pellets and avoid running them on low burn for prolonged periods. They like to run hot to keep internals from building up creosote.

Hard to ho wrong with a St Croix Prescott or Auburn. Very simple and efficient stoves. Just have to use leaf blower on exhaust every ton of pellets and avoid running them on low burn for prolonged periods. They like to run hot to keep internals from building up creosote.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate anyone's repy.