Are these free pellets worth messing with ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
A friend of mine passed away about 2 1/2 years ago , leaving behind 2 tons of pellets. His widow can not run the stove ,or has no interest in doing so. They have been stored in side for the last 2 years, still wrapped in their original plastic wrappings. The climate in the room where they are stored are the same as it is outside as there is no heating or cooling in that room. The owner wants them out of his building by the end of the summer . He asked me if I would be interested in buying them from her for what she paid [ $ 450.00 ] . I bought my pellets for $185.00 this year, so I said no . And told him I would be worried about the pellets had went bad to pay that much for them. I f they turned out to be bad , I would have to get rid of 4000 lbs of pellets in my yard. I told him I would only pay $ 100.00 for both tons. The supplier they came from said he would be careful about using them him self. Any one care to chime in ?

I'd be comfortable paying up to 100 per tons for those. I think it It would be silly to pay market value for them, but 1/2 market value and it would definitely be worth the risk. If they're still wrapped and bagged (and inside) i'd say they are almost certainly fine.

a sampling in a microwave in a glass bowl would tell the tale, under out of the elements conditions pellets can survive a few years without much trouble especialy if they are still coccooned in the origional wraps. to test simply take about a half cup of pellets , put in a GLASS not plastic bowl, cover with a saucer and nuke em for about 45 seconds in a microwave oven. immediatly after the microwave stops take the saucer off the top and turn it on end , if the moisture content is enough to allow water to drip down the saucer they are moist enough that they will probably clinker up badly, if not then they should be ok to use.

mike,

thank you for posting this way to test pellets...a guy at work was asking how to tell if they were good or not, now i know what to tell him

thanx again, mike in maine

Another way to test them is to stick a pellet on your tongue, it should stick to your tongue if they are dry. Just don't get tempted to eat them.

:lol: hey JD,
i know everyone needs a little fiber in the diet, but i dont think the drs. meant that kind

mike

I did the deal , she took $200.00 for both tons. I did the tongue test , and the microwave test. Both passed with flying colors , In the bag I tested. So now I have 330 bags for next heating season. I only used 179 last winter. So I'm good for a while. I'll try to get some pictures , to make the rest of you jealous LOL.

buildingmaint said:
A friend of mine passed away about 2 1/2 years ago , leaving behind 2 tons of pellets. His widow can not run the stove ,or has no interest in doing so. They have been stored in side for the last 2 years, still wrapped in their original plastic wrappings. The climate in the room where they are stored are the same as it is outside as there is no heating or cooling in that room. The owner wants them out of his building by the end of the summer . He asked me if I would be interested in buying them from her for what she paid [ $ 450.00 ] . I bought my pellets for $185.00 this year, so I said no . And told him I would be worried about the pellets had went bad to pay that much for them. I f they turned out to be bad , I would have to get rid of 4000 lbs of pellets in my yard. I told him I would only pay $ 100.00 for both tons. The supplier they came from said he would be careful about using them him self. Any one care to chime in ?

BONG (i am chiming in)
I don't think you will have any problems if the pellets were stored correctly. Home Depot was still selling Stove Chow up to last year. How long has that stuff been sitting in storage. And FYI they were getting full price for it. Buyer Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.