Are these logs worth milling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
These are about 1/2 an hour away from my house. On the ground, can back the trailer up to them, free, etc. Are they worthy of the time and gas for my milling experiment?

18 feet by 22" diameter
6 feet by 18" diameter
14 feet by 16" diameter
6 feet by 16" diameter
8 feet by 12" diameter

Attachments

• spruce logs.jpg
    spruce logs.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 310
What kind of wood is it? Whats the plans for the wood?

Looks like pine to me. I wouldn't.

gzecc said:

Lots of nice beams there. Out door building material. Sure would not for indoor prodjects.

I'd use it.Next time I get the chance at some decent Pine or Spruce,gonna grab it.Especially another larger Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper thats not already bucked.

smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

Lots of nice beams there. Out door building material. Sure would not for indoor prodjects.

What's wrong with pine?

101_0244.jpg

Corner-knottypine.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

What's wrong with pine?

LOL Nothing if your buy it form a mill. If your milling the logs I would want beams heavy thick stock other wise it will cup twist and warp. Unless you have a kiln and some heavy pressure. Oh btw that looks awesome! Love the blond look.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

What's wrong with pine?

Just don't like pine.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

What's wrong with pine?

101_0244.jpg

Corner-knottypine.jpg

Nothing wrong with that pine looks much better than sheet rock IMO, but then again I live in a log home so I love wood

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
Nothing wrong with that pine looks much better than sheet rock IMO, but then again I live in a log home so I love wood

About 50 some yrs ago previous owner finished entire basement & laundry room walls of my old house in 3/4" solid knotty pine car siding.Very little in family room here is visible because of various bookcases/DVD TV storage,old saw blades & other stuff that I have covering it. Any lighter pine you see is 3/4" pine car siding french doors & small cabinet over clothes dryer I built about 15yrs back.Its gradually getting darker,wont ever quite match the old wood however.

Attachments

• pine3.jpg
    pine3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 231
  • pine4.jpg
    pine4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 225
  • pine5.jpg
    pine5.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 225
  • pine7.jpg
    pine7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 231
  • pine8.jpg
    pine8.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 227
Looks very nice Thistle.

So glad it wasnt painted over or torn out before I moved in.All the wide Red Oak millwork,doors etc on main floor was painted over starting in 1940's sometime.I hate when thats done,natural wood is so much better looking.I stripped the large French doors in dining room,it had at least 5 dif colors under the white top coat.Was such a job once that was revarnished,I didnt do anymore.

Now that had to be a real job! I agree with you on the wood though. Much better than the paint. We debated on putting pine on the ceiling but in the end decided to just drywall it and paint it white. One more room will be done like that.

It is Spruce. It will be outdoor furniture. If it makes porch grade, great. Otherwise we will be stylin around the fire pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.