Area Cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is in the same area I cut the Cherry today, another topped off Cherry, Red Maple? (leaner) with some blow down.

It would be nice to spend a couple of weeks in this area cutting an clearing the forest floor for some new trails.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6339.JPG
    100_6339.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_6340.JPG
    100_6340.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_6341.JPG
    100_6341.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_6342.JPG
    100_6342.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 242
New trails would be awesome, and it looks like that will take a couple weeks to accomplish this. I assume there its alot of land to be worked having a new trail or two.

Reactions: zap
New trails would be awesome, and it looks like that will take a couple weeks to accomplish this. I assume there its alot of land to be worked having a new trail or two.
In this area I need a trail running southwest so I can get back in there (I never cut or taken the rhino back, just posted.) So much dead chit down it will take a while.

zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
One snag at a time is my motto.Sure can be a daunting task when starting out,but working a little at a time & whenever you can really makes you notice how fast the wood adds up.

Looks like a nice day up there ZAP. It was really beautiful this afternoon. I probably asked you this already and forgot. But how much acreage do you have again?
I moved one full cord up onto my covered porch today with the wife and kids pitching in a hand. What a great day to be outside. I do have to admit I also went inside and took a nap when I was done. ;lol Had a few beers with some friends last night when we all went out for dinner. Was not full of energy today for some reason. :confused:

What a difference a few hours make....

Yesterday it was 77 very windy & sunny in late afternoon,at 10PM it was still 70 & the cold front was to arrive after midnight with cold rain & more wind.At 6AM it was 46 with rain still falling (1 1/2" in gauge) & NW gusts at 45 mph.Stopped raining around noon.

Slowly dropping ever since,its 28 now with 16 windchill.Picked the last of the lettuce/spinach right after lunch,brought the last few plants inside including my massive 4 year old rosemary bush.21 tonight,35 tommorow,low 40's to low 50's rest of week.
78 in here though.::-) Burning a mix of small dead Red/White Oak branches w/some dead Hickory since daybreak.Tommorow its back to the Norway/Silver Maple/Mulberry mix.

Yesterday it was 77 very windy & sunny in late afternoon,at 10PM it was still 70 & the cold front was to arrive after midnight with cold rain & more wind.At 6AM it was 46 with rain still falling (1 1/2" in gauge) & NW gusts at 45 mph.Stopped raining around noon.

Slowly dropping ever since,its 28 now with 16 windchill.Picked the last of the lettuce/spinach right after lunch,brought the last few plants inside including my massive 4 year old rosemary bush.21 tonight,35 tommorow,low 40's to low 50's rest of week.
78 in here though.::-) Burning a mix of small dead Red/White Oak branches w/some dead Hickory since daybreak.Tommorow its back to the Norway/Silver Maple/Mulberry mix.

I didn't know that central IA was part of New England?!?!

Thistle, you got warmer than we did. Amazed that we topped out at 70. Don't think I've ever seen it this warm at this time of the year. Last I looked it was 36 and that wind is raw. Will be in the 20's no doubt in a couple hours.

zap, if you run out, come on over and you can help clean out some of our lanes.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Thistle, you got warmer than we did. Amazed that we topped out at 70. Don't think I've ever seen it this warm at this time of the year. Last I looked it was 36 and that wind is raw. Will be in the 20's no doubt in a couple hours.

zap, if you run out, come on over and you can help clean out some of our lanes.
You never told me this is never ending ==c, but it's good work. I think you took the back Hannawa/Potsdam road when you went to Smallings Motel, we had some good winds today which took out some trees on that road, about 350 lost power for 4 hours.
Zap

I think I remember that area. Sorry about the wind. We had it too. Now it has let up a lot but is really cold; nothing like yesterday.

Reactions: ScotO
I think I remember that area. Sorry about the wind. We had it too. Now it has let up a lot but is really cold; nothing like yesterday.
yeah the wind is really whipping around right now here. It was around 65-70 all day, and it's still mild out. Rain is to start here soon, by tomorrow morning they say it'll be snow showers.......wacky friggin weather!!

Reactions: zap
It's still 61 here, higher winds coming in tonight with the cold front.
zap

It was 65 here today, seemed strange to have to mow the lawn this late in the year.

Reactions: Standingdead
you'll get there Zap
I hope so, we had a strong cold front move in last night, temps yesterday were in the mid 60's, this morning we had 35 degrees on the Radio Shack special.

The wind seemed stronger than what we received from Sandy, I'll be running the trails (make sure they're open) also checking the side of some hills for more wood.
zap

The new trail will run close to our back line with our neighbors, once I get the main trail in that area done I'll make some secondary trails which will be a chit load of work because of the White Pine that is down.

It will also make it a lot easier for posting.
zap

Reactions: ScotO
I hope so, we had a strong cold front move in last night, temps yesterday were in the mid 60's, this morning we had 35 degrees on the Radio Shack special.

The wind seemed stronger than what we received from Sandy, I'll be running the trails (make sure they're open) also checking the side of some hills for more wood.
zap
We had 40mph winds that came to us on Sunday. They were in and out quickly

We had 40mph winds that came to us on Sunday. They were in and out quickly
I'll head back to this area over the weekend (weather permitting) I want the Maple leaner along with one Cherry that is topped off but standing and the second Cherry is uprooted (horizontal) with the top of it in a small Birch, this should give us at least 2 cord if not more with what I hauled out over the long weekend.

Zap, how do you work a leaner like that?

Just a small notch in the front then drop it in the Hemlock (tops in it already) pull it out of the Hemlock with the Rhino, maybe the winch if needed.

The Cherry will be more of a pain only because it's in a tight spot, might need to put the cable on it just incase it gets hung up.

I don't think it will barberchair but just incase I'll be using the 660 with a 28 inch bar with a clear path(s) heading away.

Status
Not open for further replies.