ariens 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For that kind of money i would buy the northern tool model for the same price. Or the huskee at tracker supply The Aries is probably welded in china bad move

badbob said:
For that kind of money i would buy the northern tool model for the same price. Or the huskee at tracker supply The Aries is probably welded in china bad move

Im pretty sure they are made in Brillion, WI at the Ariens plant.

I liked the Ariens as well, at first. Everything I read about the engine is good but don’t know anyone else who is using it or the former “Robins†made engines. However, I plan to go with the Northern Tool unit in April if they go with the annual “Demo Day†sale for 10% off. The NT machine has the GX Honda engine, a full length “I†beam plus the auto idle down when the cylinder is retracted, a larger cylinder too, very heavy unit with 2 outrigger legs (one each end).

I bought one in November and have run 2 to 3 cords through it by now. Shows good power, goes vertical, can pop a 26 inch diameter green cottonwood round.
I did look at northern tool and a local farm supply. Didn't want to mess with shipping and some of the farm supply models looked a little light.
This one looked the most compact, offered a 4.5 inch ram, and a horizontal shaft engine.

Works well and has done what I ask. Beats swinging the maul. Don't know why I waited so long.

Peace

Biglumber said:
I bought one in November and have run 2 to 3 cords through it by now. Shows good power, goes vertical, can pop a 26 inch diameter green cottonwood round.
I did look at northern tool and a local farm supply. Didn't want to mess with shipping and some of the farm supply models looked a little light.
This one looked the most compact, offered a 4.5 inch ram, and a horizontal shaft engine.

Works well and has done what I ask. Beats swinging the maul. Don't know why I waited so long.

Peace

Hi Big can you tell us where your splitter was manufactured? I know their snowblowers are made in USA as I have an older one and they are pretty well built..

Thanx,
Ray

Ariens is one of the few avtual manufacturers of outdoor power equipment left out there that isn't MTD or Noma. At least they still made their own snowblowers and mowers last I knew, assuming the same on the splitters as the design is distinctly not the same as the MTD of Huskee machines in the same tonnage range.

The Ariens splitters seem to be well thought out. They place the engine about as far from the operator as possible, while still having it on the machine. Plus the Robin is considered a premium engine. A few of the other manufacturers offer them, usually with an up charge. Robin is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, who also owns Subaru. Last I heard, Robins are made in the old Wisconsin plant, which FHI apparently purchased in the 90s.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a splitter with a Robin engine.

Ariens splitters are also sold on EBay with free shipping. I think the price there beats HD when not on sale.

These are good well though out splitters. One down side to them is the cycle time. They could be a bit faster, but to some that doesn't matter.

any way to modify the cycle time?

A salesman told me the Areins unit is very well thought out like you said with the engine in the clear. It’s a compact unit with a good quality jack stand. Another selling point (maybe), he said the hydraulic oil reservoir runs longitudinally with the direction of travel with half of the oil close to the tow vehicle. His point was it will not stir the oil into bubbles so much providing a little better operation when you first begin splitting after a long tow. Who knows? My main concern with this unit was the half length “I†beam, similar to the several made under the MDT wing such as Troy Built. I read somewhere the full length beam will not twist under maximum force. The high end units such as “Iron & Oak†use the full length beam. The only drawback I’ve found on the NT 30 Tonner is the absence of an oil filter. The Honda GX engine is well proven and parts shouldn’t be a problem either. The Areins Subaru engine should be high quality too but you just don't see many of them around.

I do believe ariens is manufactured in the USA. Possible to be incorrect about that. In my days at the mower shop, we had a few ariens that came in. I noticed that they(snowblowers for the most part) held up well to normal consumer abuse and misuse. I saw some quality, which back in the early 90's seemed to be going away.

Peace

NextEndeavor said:
I liked the Ariens as well, at first. Everything I read about the engine is good but don’t know anyone else who is using it or the former “Robins†made engines. However, I plan to go with the Northern Tool unit in April if they go with the annual “Demo Day†sale for 10% off. The NT machine has the GX Honda engine, a full length “I†beam plus the auto idle down when the cylinder is retracted, a larger cylinder too, very heavy unit with 2 outrigger legs (one each end).

I run a NT with a 1990 Wisconsin Robin engine runs great no loss of power. If thats any indication of the quality or am I just lucky! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.