Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana) - Worth the effort?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
It is hard to limb because there are so many limbs. It is hard on the chain. It burns fast and dries slow.

But I have more of it than any other trees, maybe 30 acres.

With storage for the gasser it likely doesn't matter that it burns faster than hardwood. I was planning to use a combination of hardwood, and spent mushroom substrate (compressed straw) but the red cedar is free and plentiful and I'd like to gradually clear more land anyways.

Anybody have experience and advise for dealing with these trees for firewood.

hmmm, can't really add to what you already know.

The plus to the eastern red cedar is that it won't rot on ya too fast :)

I have burned up a few in my jotul. The stuff burns pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, there is a bunch of limbing to do on 'em, but hey, if it's free wood I say start sawin' 'em down!

it Burns fast and hot, not much in the way of coals or extended burn time but free and hot none the less!

I just cut one down for my brother in law a few weeks ago, yep limbs everywhere, but it sure smelled good cutting it. At the base of the tree I took a round and cut it up into 3 inch thick pieces, going to let it dry out and maybe make a few nice clocks out of it.

I have cut down and burned a couple , you pretty much have to score on how they are. I would use the ones you want to clear after all it's free wood and mixed with your other stuff will be fine. I would leave most of the rest be if you have other sources just taking a few here and there .

It's great for starting a fire in a cold firebox...

I like it. It smells great, looks nice, and seems to burn just fine - about like pine. I don't find it to be any harder on the chain than any other wood.

Firewood and fences is what we've used it for.

I kinda agree with starting the fire, unless its different by me...I have a red cedar that throws sparks like crazy but does burn hot and fast!

Definitely like the popping and crackling of a cedar fire. Good for when company comes and wants to enjoy the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.