Article about Vermont Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisu

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2010
Chittenden, VT
Our local weekly newspaper had a feature story about Vermont Castings. I thought some may be interested in reading it.

http://www.7dvt.com/2011vermont-woodstoves

Two points in the article strike me a bit odd: One, VC is cited as the "inventor of the classical Yankee woodstove" and "as setting the standard". Second, other than Hearthstone all stove makers supposedly produce in China which seems to be quite a bit off the mark. Maybe the experts here can shed some light on it.

P.S. Another good read is the "Hackie" column of a local cab driver: http://www.7dvt.com/searchindex/20 Usually very entertaining.

As usual, not much research goes on in those articles. Just trying to paint a pretty picture for a company or two but forget the rest. No doubt the article was written by someone who knows mostly nothing about the industry.

Interesting article . . . journalists are generalists . . . what I mean by that is that most of them working at small state or local newspapers have to know a little bit about a lot of topics as they may be writing a story about a fire, doing an interview with an artist, covering the police beat or a town meeting all in the same weekly paper . . . therefore I never expect them to be experts in the field . . . there just isn't enough time for them to become experts.

As such they often have to rely on their subject who they are interviewing for the facts . . . therefore sometimes articles have a particular bend . . . and in this case it seems as though the big push was emphasizing the locally built stove over the over-seas stoves. My only issue is that this article makes it sound as though the vast majority of stoves being sold in this country are coming from China . . . when I would guess there are fair number of stoves either still being built here in the U.S., Canada or in Europe.

Adios Pantalones said:
Must be that Woodstock plant is next to that tiny piece of NH that actually touches China.

Well New Hampshire is next to Maine and there is a China, Maine . . . so maybe. . . . . :)

I think they're talking cast iron. VC foundry is the last American stove foundry. Harmon castings and several others are (or were circa 2005) made there. They made all the cast chair rails for Coors Field. They even cast frying pans. Travis industries outsourced their castings to China about the time they came out with the Leyden. Hearthstones are cast in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.