As The Storms Rolled In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I have experimented with lightning photos before. This is last night's attempt. I took 60 exposures. Out of those 60, I deleted all but 8! Here are 3 of those 8.
IMG_0592%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_0580%20(800x600).jpg

Lightning and cars going by.
IMG_0545%20(800x600).jpg

Nice pictures quads did you get any nasty weather?

Zap

zapny said:
Nice pictures quads did you get any nasty weather?

Zap
Nope, we got lucky. 40mph wind when it finally got here, then some heavy rain. Only one strike close and that took the power out for a couple seconds.

If you liked the lightning photos from last night (they were just flashes and no bolts visible) maybe you will like the following 8 pictures I took 3 or 4 years ago. After looking at these again today, I can't believe I was standing out there with that storm so close!
PDVD_006.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

PDVD_008.jpg

PDVD_009.jpg

PDVD_010.jpg

PDVD_011.jpg

PDVD_012.jpg

PDVD_005.jpg

great pics but as you admitted, temporary insanity! I love being outside in lightining storms but they do scare the heck outa me! It's a great "rush" but it's not too smart! :)

there aren't a lot of instances where you can use the word AWESOME and not have it sound over used or incorrectly used, but in the case of these photos....AWESOME. You can almost feel the static on your neck hairs.

Thanks! I was hoping to get more practice with lightning pictures tonight, but so far looks like all the storms are going south of me. Next project; funnel cloud pictures!

quads said:
Thanks! I was hoping to get more practice with lightning pictures tonight, but so far looks like all the storms are going south of me. Next project; funnel cloud pictures!

Just be careful you don't get sucked up into this new found obsession. :)

I hate lightning, very scared of it. Awesome pictures though! We don't get very much of that "sideways lightning" out here.

wood spliter said:
Quads were the first set taken in the dark or was it just really cloudy?
Dark, right around midnight. And it was thick overcast too.

No lightning (or funnel clouds) last night. The storms all went south of me. A few pictures of what it looked like from here:
IMG_0614%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_0629%20(800x600).jpg

And after sunset:
IMG_0651%20(800x600).jpg

Great Pictures Quads!!!!

Billy

Quads, If i remember correctly your only usin a point and shoot camera? Either way amazing photos and a great eye!

SmokinPiney said:
Quads, If i remember correctly your only usin a point and shoot camera? Either way amazing photos and a great eye!
Thanks! That's right, a Canon PowerShot.

As usual . . . great pics. Loved the sunset pic of the farm . . . looks like something you would see in Country magazine.

Great shots of the lightning storm. Well worth the revisit, or in my case, the first look!

Here are a few pics of yesterday's storms:
IMG_0657%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_0664%20(800x600).jpg

Snapshot(2).jpg

Snapshot.jpg

Snapshot(1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.