Ash and Osage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANeat

Jul 2, 2010
SW Ohio
I was trimming some ends today. Had a little Osage Orange in the mix and always thought it looked nice, especially when fresh cut. We burned a lot of it when I was a kid. Had no idea back then it was the "good stuff" we just had a bunch of hedgeapple trees and we didnt care for them, untill they were in the stove ;)

Makes an interesting pic next to some ash

DSC01308.jpg

ANeat thanks, thats my first time ever seeing Osage.

zap

zapny said:
ANeat thanks, thats my first time ever seeing Osage.

zap

No problem, here is a fresh split of a seasoned piece and a bark shot

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

How long does it keep that color?

zap

Wood does look like Mulberry. But Mulberry turns very dark as it seasons.......

The "Holy Grail" of BTU's! Thanks for posting pics. I've never seen the stuff.

As for mulberry I think Osage and Mulberry are related and the wood color is pretty close. Osage is quite a bit heavier. (I think the bark is different) As for the weight thats the first thing you notice really when you pick up a piece. It feels so heavy you wouldnt think its even seasoned.

I got this stuff (not much) from a guy who was moving and was selling his wood stash. Mostly cherry, some ash, and probably a couple wheelbarrel loads of the Osage. I would say its been stacked for at least a couple years, the fresh split checks at 14% moisture

It stays that color , you can see the oxidized side gets a bit darker but if its finished/sealed it stays that color. Makes a pretty bow...

Looks like Mulberry. If it ages to where the outside takes on a rusty, brownish/red color, but the core wood remains bright amber yellow like that, you have Mulberry. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Alright all you Mulberry guessers ;)

Here is Red Mulberry bark

Attachments

• wmoru2-brlarge-tree10232.jpeg
    wmoru2-brlarge-tree10232.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 322
And here is Osage bark, compare that to the pic of the bark above

Attachments

• Osage-Orange-bark.jpeg
    Osage-Orange-bark.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 358
Just for the record I was not guessing mulberry I was just making an observation (thats my story) :cheese:

oldspark said:
Just for the record I was not guessing mulberry I was just making an observation (thats my story) :cheese:

Yep, and youre right, ;) they do look real similar. I think without the bark or leaves the weight would be the best way to tell. I think Osage is something like 55lbs per cu ft and Mulberry is in the low 40's range

I've had some Mulberry here, which I experienced as being very heavy, probably a little heavier than Oak even. Mulberry is wonderful stove chow. I hope to have the opportunity to compare some Osage at some point. Never had the pleasure...

Im blessed with hedge, tons of it. It may be the single nastiest breed of a tree when it comes to burning the limbs. No matter what, you will be thorned...all over, multiple times and repeatedly. When you make a pile, it is loose. Smash with a front end loader and it springs back. There are zero straight limbs and the little guys go off in every direction. Plus they grow in a manner that you have to study for a good bit to try to figure what stem to take first...its like the lords puzzle.

That said, its incredible wood. Makes great turkey calls and strikers, wont ever rot, and bugs avoid it. Best fence post ever if you can find a 9 foot piece that is straight.

Cluttermagnet said:
I've had some Mulberry here, which I experienced as being very heavy, probably a little heavier than Oak even.

And the Osage will have that much difference over the Mulberry. The stuff is dense as heck. If allowed to weather, the color will change to a dark hew of brick red/brown.

For those that have never burned it: warning, this stuff will light up like a sparkler on the 4th of July. Very tiny spark clusters will virtually explode out of the wood when a gust of oxygen hits it (like opening a door). I like to freak people out by handing them a log (not split) about 8" x 18" long. It darn near brings them to their knees.

With a little wax, the color will last for years. Here are a couple of tool I turned on the lathe a few years ago

hedge001.jpg

hedge004.jpg

hedge003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.