Ash ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmuellr

Nov 23, 2009
SE Michigan
Is it me, or does different kinds of wood leave different quantities of ash?

I'm new to the wood burning game, and started the season w/ a maple and cherry mix, then moved to a "hardwood mix", then oak. I just got my first scrounge, and it was standing dead for a few years ash. It seems to me that the ash REALLY leaves a lot of coals that I have to work to burn down, and the ash is much more fluffy and loose than the oak.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Kevin

Makes perfect sense, different densities of wood = different densities of ash.

with time you will come to find the combo of heat/coal retention and burn time that suits you and your stove best.

And welcome to the forum!

I took down a good size dead ash this spring. The upper branches (under a foot) left a huge amount of fluffy ash. The trunk didn't seem any different than average. I think it had a lot to do with the bark.

Yes, different amounts and less seasoning will leave large coals and more ash...

I had some english walnut last year that made a lot of ash. I've burned a full load of really dry red oak bark before; coals great but again, lots more ash than red oak wood. That's the two times I noticed more ash than average. I feel like black locust has less than average, but I don't typically burn just locust long enough to be sure.

I never really thought about the bark. But I think some of the wood I was burning with big bark was making allot of ash as Jeff-t said. The last 2 weeks have been Cherry and its been good.

kmmuellr, no matter what wood you burn, if you are getting a lot more coals than normal it says the wood is not quite as dry as it should be. Yes, even that dead ash can still hold moisture, but wait until next year and it will burn very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.