ash clean out is in the floor of the fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
With a wood insert should you insulate or block off the ash clean out in the bottom of the fireplace where in my case, the insert sits on top off? It can't help to have cold air coming up from the basement and cooling down the insert/
Jim

Lanning said:
With a wood insert should you insulate or block off the ash clean out in the bottom of the fireplace where in my case, the insert sits on top off? It can't help to have cold air coming up from the basement and cooling down the insert/
Jim

Stuff the opening full of unfaced fiberglas insulation...
You'll probably hafta remove the door so your insert sits flat on the FP hearth

It probably wont matter much if you have a block off plate and the insert is sealed around the front trim. If not, I would just give it a shot of high temp silicone and seal it. You can always open it back up.

I used that for the air intake for the wood stove - dropped the air intake down their, sealed it up, and I pull combustion air from the basement. Works pretty well to keep the basement from getting stale from lack of air circulation, and keeps the drafts down in the house. That's another option.

Cold air sinks?? I stuffed my blower cord down the shoot and plugged in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.