ash cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffspeed

Dec 14, 2009
Rome, N.Y.
I haven't gotten a stove yet, still checking them out, all the pros and cons. Do they make a stove, you don't have to shut down to clean.

In Never Never Land maybe

ffspeed said:
I haven't gotten a stove yet, still checking them out, all the pros and cons. Do they make a stove, you don't have to shut down to clean.

I'm new to the stove world... and that was a concern of mine going in. I didn't want to shutdown the stove and let the house get cold everytime I need to clean it, etc.

In practice its really not an issue. I usually let the stove make the house a few degrees warmer than normal and shutdown. In about an hour I go back and do my cleaning (could be less time, but I don't have an ash vac). By the time everything is good to go and I fire up the stove once again, its about the normal temp in the house.

Getting a stove that you have to clean less often minimizes this further. I have a Harmon and although I should be able to burn a ton of pellets before cleaning, (which I doubt for any but the most premium pellets) I usually clean it every weekend. Its not hard and I find it a little enjoyable (don't tell the wife) but it is dirty work.

This is my third season with my stove, and cleaning the ash isn't that troublesome at all. Mine gets emptied every two weeks maybe (if I'm running the stove high, which I usually am).

You'll find that you want to power the stove down every so often for various reasons (usual cleaning/maintenance most of the time), and it only takes about an hour to cool off enough to do either a quick (10-15 minute) cleaning, or a thorough (30 mins) cleaning.

You'll need to do this type of cleaning even if they make a stove that doesn't require ash clean out (which as mentioned, doesn't seem to exist yet), because it's the best way to preserve the life of the stove as well as making sure the heat output is optimized.

Hope that helps... good luck with your decision!

when my pot needs to be cleaned (clinckers) i put the feed rate on 0 and open the door and empty the pot.

after i don't have any embers to light the pellets, i put in some fire starter log and light er up. then the pellets will catch, and the stove is still on

Status
Not open for further replies.