Ash / Coal rake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
Where is a good on-line place to buy a rake?

Doug save your money, a bent poker will do it all...unless your retired.

try searching for ash hoe at northlineexpress.com, they sell everything to do with stoves and fireplaces. That is where I bought all my chimney cleaning rods and brushes.

I was thinking about taking the head off the brush since it is all melted anyway and make my own rake to put on the handle. Right now I use the poker and the corner of the shovel but they don't work that well.

Why would they make the brush out of nylon anyway?

Easy enough to make one. I took a 3' ready rod that I had and bent the end into a handle. I then got a 2" by 5" steel brace [any flat piece of steel will do ] drilled it in the center down 1/3 from top. I then inserted ready rod and put bolts on both sides. It works great. I covered the handle so I do not feel the threads.

snowtime said:
Easy enough to make one...
I would want teeth on it like a rake to separate the coals from the ashes.

My kitchen spatula would melt and the handle being so short would burn my knuckles.

HI doug I was thinking the same thing . The inside of the EQ is kind of large to clean with a poker. I was going to weld one up my self in the next few weeks . I think you could have one made at a metal shop .

I got one of these at a local hardware store. It's the only tool I use (I have an ash pan).
When closed, the end of the tongs form a loop. I just drag my coals around with that. It's handy for it's intended purpose too.

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/410816.html

I had an old cheapo fireplace set laying around that I never used the base or the brush so I yanked the head off of the brush, attached the piece that holds the tools on the stand and made a ash rake that works beautifully.

Attachments

• ashrake.jpg
    ashrake.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 407
Eh BB, smart idea. Too bad I threw my old set away.

I grabbed an extra ash shovel I had lying around, and cut ~1/2" slits about 4" up the shovel. Then I made a crude brake from two 2x4s, bent 90 degrees and put a self tapping sheet metal screw in each corner. It's fine for the Vista but you might get warm hands with a larger stove.

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 381
burn-1 I was going to do the same thing. But im going to take the shovel and pound it out with a mallet so that the first two inches were flat and if its wide enough I was going to cut some teeth mabe every 1/2inch or so. But wright now I only have one shovel so Ill wait till santa brings me a new set and pound out the old one
BB that thing looks like it could glow for hours. Do you have any cattle you could brand with that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.