Ash in house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NixonFamily

Mar 23, 2014
maine
I have an Ashley bay window 5660. Purchased 2013.
This year it started smelling a little smoky on startup.
It's been cleaned thoroughly. Vent pipe end sealed with high temp silicone and wrapped with foil tape.
New window rope and exhaust fan gasket.
I noticed when cleaning the bathroom that the toilet was covered in ash and was a gray color. There is fly ash in stove but I can't seem to find the source. Any ideas.

Agree with the outside air.

Another thought as far as the ash on the toilet, is your ash vac filter worn or damaged? Or did you have a big slug of ash stir up a cloud when cleaning?

Do you have outside air for combustion provided to your stove?
No outside air connection. Strangest thing, it's been about 10 years no major issues. Replaced a few parts along the way but it's been reliable.

SO,no OAK. Been "upgrading" your house? Sealing it, perhaps new doors,windows? Then your bathroom fan may be drawing ash from stove/area when on, especially when stove is off, or burning low.

Reactions: Washed-Up
SO,no OAK. Been "upgrading" your house? Sealing it, perhaps new doors,windows? Then your bathroom fan may be drawing ash from stove/area when on, especially when stove is off, or burning low.
No upgrades to the house. It is a 1963 single story ranch style home. Not very tight. I agree, bathroom fan probably pulled in ash. But I have it in other places too. Ruined my wife's white sweater (now gray) in bedroom. I have just taped on some white terry cloth and started to see if there is a leak on left, right or rear. Will run stove for 15 mins and examine.

IMG_20230206_130154423.jpg IMG_20230206_130250891_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20230206_130204940.jpg

When the stove is on no ash should come out the door because the stove is supposed to be negative.
The only place I think the ash can come out is on the other side of the combustion fan pushing into the chimney as it is in positive.
look from the stove exit to the outside

When the stove is on no ash should come out the door because the stove is supposed to be negative.
The only place I think the ash can come out is on the other side of the combustion fan pushing into the chimney as it is in positive.
look from the stove exit to the outside
Agreed, there is a square tube coming from stove to a plate where exhaust fan is mounted which in turn connect to 3 inch double wall pipe going straight out thorough thimble to clean out T and vertical pipe. I can't see a leak, but wonder if the exhaust fan itself may be leaking ash out. Is this common?

Another thought as far as the ash on the toilet, is your ash vac filter worn or damaged? Or did you have a big slug of ash stir up a cloud when cleaning?
That would be my first thought, I know when my vac gets dirty I get a puff of ash when first turning it on lets me know its past time to clean the filter that and the look I get from wife.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I think it is leaking at the double wall pipe connection or the tee cap and the double wall pipe joints.
You don't see any ash because it is sucked up right away by your distribution fan and is thrown all over the house

That would be my first thought, I know when my vac gets dirty I get a puff of ash when first turning it on lets me know its past time to clean the filter that and the look I get from wife.
I would suggest using a shop vac with a yellow drywall bag and leave the pleated filter in place. I would bet it is from your vac not the stove.

I think it is leaking at the double wall pipe connection or the tee cap and the double wall pipe joints.
You don't see any ash because it is sucked up right away by your distribution fan and is thrown all over the house
Thanks, I am going to examine this part of stove more.