Ash or Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
I recently received 4 facecords of mixed hardwood. 1 apple, 1 oak, 1 cherry and supposedly 1 elm. I was going through it tonight slowly and I'd swear its not Elm but Ash. Grains are as straight as an arrow & it's fairly easy to split. Not complaining for $50 a face cord, but for those a little more seasoned than me......are they a close resemblence or no? Thanks

NordicSplitter said:
I recently received 4 facecords of mixed hardwood. 1 apple, 1 oak, 1 cherry and supposedly 1 elm. I was going through it tonight slowly and I'd swear its not Elm but Ash. Grains are as straight as an arrow & it's fairly easy to split. Not complaining for $50 a face cord, but for those a little more seasoned than me......are they a close resemblence or no? Thanks
All I know to tell you is that if you got ash rather than elm then you can count your blessings....easier splitting, more btu's, smells better,....

Ed

sounds like ash.

Are the growth rings pretty wide? On the Elm I cut last year, they're wider than the Ash rings...

Some folks are pretty bad at IDing trees . . . I had one guy who swore the big, old ash that the Town graciously cut down for me was oak when I knew it was elm. I didn't argue with him . . . figured he would discover that fact when he started splitting the bucked up pieces I gave him.

Now as for ash or elm . . . sounds like ash . . . but as Dennis and I will both attest . . . if the elm has been dead for a while (as in so dead the bark is falling off) you may find the elm to not be all that bad splitting . . . all bets are off though if it is a fresh cut elm.

Why tease us with this "facecord" stuff? It's inherently a scam, like the shrinking product packages in the supermarket.

You should know that in NY, as stated in http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/wm/WMwood.html,
"In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed."

Lots of useful info there for firewood buyers.

Given that, it's trivial to tell how many cords or cu.ft. are involved. Those units of measure have legal standing.

CTYank said:
"all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed."
Hey, what gives?!! I bought a small amount of wood last Winter to get me and a couple other folk through. It wasn't "ranked" or "well-stowed." I'm gonna take that guy to small claims court!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.