Ash Vacuum idea - would this be feasible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I have a Dovre Isle Royale I am trying to fix up. It doesn't appear to need a total rebuild but I am going to be replacing firebricks and some gaskets. I would have liked have been able to move it outside to blow it out with a compressor as Elk has suggested in the past but I had a hard enough time getting recruits to help me move it the 1st time. I'm thinking of making a crude plastic tent of sorts around where it is in basement so I can get this cleaned up and contain the mess. There is also some ash in the nooks of the stove I would like to get out.

That said I really don't want to go buy a new vacuum designed for ash pickup but I was thinking I could use something like the one my friend used for his drywall like this which filters the dust through the water.

I know fly ash can be pretty fine but must be fairly similar to drywall dust. If anyone has other ideas I would appreciate it.

I learned here that a Shop-vac with a damp sock on the outlet side is the way to go, nary a speck of dust when I cleaned up the stove.

I cleaned my old stove out at much as possible, removed the fire brick, scooped out as much as I could then just took my household vacuum w/ HEPA filter and just vacuumed it. Worked like a charm.

I found a fine-dust filter for my shop vac at Home Depot. I cannot remember the brand, but it was listed for dry wall dust and ash (cold only). It was paper, and you have to take off the wet/sponge filter to slide it on. (It was expensive -- about $26 I think). I think it is good for about 4 or 5 cleanings (of a firelight cb), if you tap off the crud into the trash after each cleaning. 'Couldn't even smell ash when I stuck my nose over the vac exhaust.

Best Regards,

Dexter

I use my home peehole Rigid shop vac, as is and never had any dust fly out.
I do of course make sure the ash is cold and no hot embers.

Status
Not open for further replies.