ASH ? Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2009
Northern ,IL
Pulled a couple truck loads out of the community property brush row that surrounds my subdivision. So far I have been able to identify Ash,Oak,Choke Cherry , Black Walnut and Hedge.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 785
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 932
Not ash, ash is very stringy. does not split cleanly.

I have some of this in my pile, not sure what it is, maybe poplar? Feels really light compared to oak and kind of smells like pine.

I disagree about ash splitting cleaning, and the bark looks like the ash I have, but it is stringy sometimes and that grain doesn't look like ash to me.

I was gudging by the bark and white color thru out. It has some red rings going thru it.

Maybe soft maple?

The little bit of spalt in the first pic reminds me of Maple. I don't think it is ash.

Either way it's Firewood and it's exactly what I was looking for.I was just curious what it was. I needed a few cord of off season wood when I don't want to waste my oak. I was very happy with the weight pulled 4 truck loads in 6 hours yesterday and I am not that sore. All 4 load were this size or larger

Attachments

• titan wood.jpg
    titan wood.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 549
I could be wrong, but there's roughly 2 tons in a cord of green maple soft wood (just for example.

So if you pulled 4 truck loads filled to the gills like that, I'm guessing you scored ~1.5-2 cords? Nice :)

[quote author="kettensäge" date="1304365007"]Not ash, ash is very stringy. does not split cleanly. quote]

I could not disagree more.

44 elite said:
Pulled a couple truck loads out of the community property brush row that surrounds my subdivision. So far I have been able to identify Ash,Oak,Choke Cherry , Black Walnut and Hedge.

The bark looks like Quaking Aspen / Popple I cut for the shoulder season this year. I've been wrong plenty of times before on wood identification, looks like a nice score.

GIBIR

kettensäge said:
Not ash, ash is very stringy. does not split cleanly.

I've had the opposite experience with ash. All of the ash I have worked with splits like a dream....not stringy at all and very straight grained.

My guess is maple.

Of the few woods I've cut (ironwood, elm, ash, pine, a few others), ash splits the easiest/cleanest with an axe. I can consistently remove large slabs from the side of a big round with a single swing. I might get some stray strings, but overall it's a clean sheet of wood that peels off.

Elm, on the other hand, is the stringiness SOB ever to grow out of God's green earth. And it has ridiculously rebound strength - you can bury an axe head in it up to the handle and it'll take 2 minutes to get the axe head out, at which time the wood will have reclosed itself almost to the point it doesn't look split. Burns so good though it makes you forget about it :)

I'm not 100% certain on the id except I can tell you for certain that is not ash. Also, ash doe not split stringy. Ash is one of the easiest woods there is to split. My wife is so ornery all I do is have her stare at the stuff and it falls apart.

Another vote for "Not ash" -- like most others the white ash I have split has split very easily, not stringy and is one of my favorite woods. Elm on the other hand can be stringy and a miserable experience to split by hand . . . sometimes it isn't even much fun to split when fresh cut with a hydraulic splitter.

As for the identification . . . I'm better at IDing trees by leafs . . . and I'm in a different area of the country so any guess I would have would be just that . . . a wild guess.

1st photo soft maple note the red in the bark. Second photo appears to be Hard maple.

wisconsindvm said:
that box elder

another vote for box elder, I put up a pic a few months ago and it looked similar, verdict was box elder.

For more confirmation, check the end grain. Box elder will often have a darker amoeba shaped stain at the center of the end of a round.

Pieces on the right could well be ash, from the bark.

I love to hand-split white ash- lovely stuff. Knots get noodled.

Status
Not open for further replies.