Assembing stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadog2

Sep 21, 2009
CT
Hi,

I am going to replace my current woodstove and will be buying all new pipeing. Has a few turns and one straight run out to the thimble. Is it easier to start assembly from the thimble and work towards the stove or start at the stove vent in back and work towards the thimble? Any tips would be appreciated. Also, will have to install a damper control in the first section off the stove, is there some surefire way to drill the hole in the pipe so it comes out in the exact same spot on the other side of the pipe? { this way my damper plate will be nice and centered inside the pipe }

seadog2 said:
Hi,

I am going to replace my current woodstove and will be buying all new pipeing. Has a few turns and one straight run out to the thimble. Is it easier to start assembly from the thimble and work towards the stove or start at the stove vent in back and work towards the thimble? Any tips would be appreciated. Also, will have to install a damper control in the first section off the stove, is there some surefire way to drill the hole in the pipe so it comes out in the exact same spot on the other side of the pipe? { this way my damper plate will be nice and centered inside the pipe }

Sometimes it's easier to work from both end & make the final connection at the elbow.
Easiest way is to put a slip section in the connector, then it doesn't matter where you start...
As for the damper, use a tape measure to make layout the same distance from one end -
on both sides of the pipe - then mark the location with a Sharpie or masking tape.
Drill the first hole to size & insert the damper rod.
Use your tape - inside the get the distance right & eyeball the rod from
the end to center it on the I.D.
Tap the outer end with a hammer, with the point of the rod against the other side.
It'll leave a mark on the opposite side from the first hole.
Drill thru (or near) the mark - on your layout line/tape & you'll be all set.

seadog2 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, but can you tell me what a "slip section" is?

A slip section is an adjustable length of connector (or Class A) where the OD of one piece is slightly smaller
& will slide inside the larger section so you can adjust the length without any cutting...

Forgot to ask...is it better to crimp pipe first , then snap together or snap together first, then make the crimp? Also, there is run of pipe that sits horizontal and I have 25 and a 1/4 " from the top of the pipe to the botom of the floor joists { unfinished basement, open ceiling, joists exposed }. Is this enough or do i need to put up some durarock?

Status
Not open for further replies.