Assessors Office -Pellet Stove Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to give an update on the Assessors office wanting to see my pellet stove... my original post was closed because of too many off topic posts, so I had to start this new one.

After looking up a neighbors assessment who has a pellet stove on the town website, I could see that they had added $5000 to his assessed value, which in turn raised his property taxes by approximately $15 x 5 = $75.00 per year I figured that this was probably going to be my fate as well.

I contacted the assessors office to avoid having them just adding the value that I had given to the building inspector automatically and then having to apply for a abatement. They said "we're just closing out last years building permits, so we'll just go ahead and add that on then." And I said "add what on... there's nothing to add on". I argued (politely of course) that I didn't see how it would affect the value of my assessment because I didn't make any structural modifications to my building. They kept pushing the fact that "I added a flue"... and I kept insisting I didn't, because my stove is a fireplace insert and I am using the existing chimney. I admitted I did run a stainless steel liner in the chimney as required by MA state law, but I don't consider that as adding a flue.

After a bit of back and forth on the flue issue (and I politely invited them up to have a visual inspection) they dropped the issue and said there would be no increase to my assessed value. Good for me... but how about my neighbor who is being assessed an extra $5000 for his pellet stove (which is a free standing model, vented into an existing 2nd flue in his basement). Knowing this, I continued the conversation with the assessor asking, "so if I had added a flue, what would be the increase to my assessed value... the value of the stainless steel chimney or the entire cost of the stove and the chimney". They said... oh no, only the chimney. So I am thinking to myself, why then did they add $5000 to my neighbors value because he didn't add a flue either. And even if he did, the cost of that would only be a few hundred dollars.

So being the good neighbor I am, I called my friend down the street and told him this story and suggested he file for an abatement and try and get the $5000 increase removed and also to ask for a rebate of the approx. $150 he's paid for the last 2 years. He was really surprised when I told them they had increased his assessed value by $5000 for the stove. He wasn't even aware of it.

I will also be keeping a close eye on my own assessment now to be sure that it doesn't magically appear on there in the future. Thanks to all for sharing your experience and advice on this topic!

Im glad you were able to avoid the cost increase. I guess it is one of things were if you dont call bs and just go along with it ( which is what the town must think people will do ) then the town has the opportunity to make a few extra buck at your expense. They cant argue with the fact that you didnt have to add on a chimney to install your pellet insert. And they have no right to just randomly add on an extra $5000 to your assessed value without looking at what you have done. Good call on your part!!

CJ-SR4ever said:
Im glad you were able to avoid the cost increase. I guess it is one of things were if you dont call bs and just go along with it ( which is what the town must think people will do ) then the town has the opportunity to make a few extra buck at your expense. They cant argue with the fact that you didnt have to add on a chimney to install your pellet insert. And they have no right to just randomly add on an extra $5000 to your assessed value without looking at what you have done. Good call on your part!!

Actually in most states if you don't provide a detailed and correct list of owned real estate by the state mandated assessment date they can do just about anything they wish within certain legal limits.

That is why you should never disallow them to inspect a property.

Status
Not open for further replies.