At What Temp Does An i-Phone Melt On A Woodstove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhh.. at about 450 degrees ! It bubbles at about 500 degrees !
A very valuble lesson has been learned here. My 15yr old has learned not to put his i-phone on the woodstove while firing it up while mom is at work.
My ex has learned that he should have given me the $500 for wood instead of spoiling the child with an i-phone. Hate to say "I told ya so" !

This post needs a photo. ;) :)

Sorry to hear of an expensive mistake.....but thanks for the chuckle. <bubbling iphone> Baaaa,hhhaaaa,ha.

Pics should be REQUIRED for posts like this. :lol: :lol:

Sorry y'all, I was at work when it happened. But I did reprimand my 12yr old for not getting phone video of his big brother making such a stupid mistake ! I told him we could have put it on U-Tube and it'd have gotten a million hits !

If you buy an iphone....go to Squaretrade and buy the warranty on it!
It is a small investment all in all - they often give 20% off the warranties, and they replace for ANY reason.

Since the phone is subsidized by AT&T;, the cost of a replacement will be much higher than the original cost.

OUCH.......

Yeah, and what is a 15 year old doing with a phone that will end up costing about 1500-2000 for two years?
Time for a job, I see.....since the replacement will be very expensive.....

Heck, I don't even have an iPhone (but my wife does now....and she loves it!)

YIKES!!!! that's a heart breaker I bet he feels terrible about that. I feel sorry for the young man...here he's taking care of business for you and gets distracted by a ring. At least he remembered to close the stove door. Maybe his Dad got insurance for it.

I wonder how heavy his "gut" feels right now (the son) for melting his I Phone on his Dad's wood stove. Doh!!!

If only we could get this done to all iphones...

karri0n said:
If only we could get this done to all iphones...
crackberries too!

rydaddy said:
I wonder how heavy his "gut" feels right now (the son) for melting his I Phone on his Dad's wood stove. Doh!!!

It was MOMS wood stove ! "Dad" only knows how to operate on & off switches and remote controls. That is why he is my ex. "Dad" lives in Boston & pays no child support (long story/raw deal). But he pays for cable/internet & a family cell phone service. For this my boys think he is wonderful and Mom is the evil entity who brought them to this "Hickville Hell" where they have to do things like stack wood, carry wood, shovel snow, help with yard work, etc ! This 15yr. old fights me on everything, appreciates nothing and repects very little. he only tries to start the stove if he's REALLY cold and prefers to crank the electric heat up in his room and bask in his underwear in there like its a Russian spa! I know it's a teenage phase. I think woodburning is something he will look back upon decades from now and appreciate & understand why I made him be a part of it.

leaf4952 said:
rydaddy said:

It was MOMS wood stove ! "Dad" only knows how to operate on & off switches and remote controls. That is why he is my ex. "Dad" lives in Boston & pays no child support (long story/raw deal). But he pays for cable/internet & a family cell phone service. For this my boys think he is wonderful and Mom is the evil entity who brought them to this "Hickville Hell" where they have to do things like stack wood, carry wood, shovel snow, help with yard work, etc ! This 15yr. old fights me on everything, appreciates nothing and repects very little. he only tries to start the stove if he's REALLY cold and prefers to crank the electric heat up in his room and bask in his underwear in there like its a Russian spa! I know it's a teenage phase. I think woodburning is something he will look back upon decades from now and appreciate & understand why I made him be a part of it.

When I was young I hated fooling with wood. It seemed, at that age, like it took an entire day to load, haul, and then stack a pickup load of wood. Very silly now, looking back. I can spend the bulk of the day working in wood, and it doesn't bother me in the least (though my lower back might beg to differ). I personally think it's a good thing for kids to have some responsibilities when growing up. The last time I checked, the older I got, the more responsibilities I had to deal with. Best get used to them sooner rather than later.

Bigg_Redd said:
firefighterjake said:
This post needs a photo. ;) :)

x2.

This thread is worthless without pics.

Oh for God sake ! I will try to get the i-Phone from my son & take a pic of it ! But it's not gonna be as cool as: if I'd captured it when it happened! I got a peek at the i-Phone other day. The bubbling under the face screen was not visable without it being turned ON. The phone apparently turned itself off soon after it "bubbled". There is a big bump on the back where the battery is. Scary considering how slim an i-Phone is. Some people have told me if it had gone on long - the gases released by the melting battery would have been dangerous.
I too love to watch destruction much like you guys. I watch "Destroyed In Seconds", "Myth Busters", and any TV show about animals attacking humans ! I also love those clips of the guy who puts just about anything in a blender. It's kept me from throwing away my blender years ago after quiting Margarittas. I figure it could come in handy if I ever get another bad boyfreind (snicker, snicker, no my name is not Lorainna Bobbit).
I can relate to your desire to see pics.I will try to get a pick, but my son will be mortified that I told the world on the internet about his mistake. Afterall he's 15 and thinks he's MR. COOL and even so I don't want to humiliate him further unless he can laugh about it now.

Oh for God's sake. Will one of you just send this link to the "Myth Busters" or that other blow-up show ! Because you all really wanna see this in great detail (I can tell) and I don't think it'd be safe for me and my son to do this further on purpose. I would like to see it too ! But after my son has sulked long enough and learned his lesson ...my ex plans to actually take the phone into Apple on the insurance plan he got (I'm shocked - guess he's not totally stupid and I should check my brakes daily) !

leaf4952 said:
I will try to get a pick, but my son will be mortified that I told the world on the internet about his mistake.

That's WHY you tell the internet...

besides, the iPhone deserves it.

CZARCAR said:
dont forget to check the oil,antifreeze,&air;pressure of tires might could xpmint further by putting ifone on engine,cab heater,& end of exhaust pipe where safety gear might be warranted.

I was refering to my ex's use of insurance and manipulating it to his advantage. Apparently he's expanded beyond his ambulance chasing past into the "normal" insurance using world. Hope springs eternal.
Some body please melt an i-Phone completely & end this thread.

I always wanted to do this to my Nextel! Most frustrating phone I ever had. They don't stand up well to a microwave oven.....

Chris

I think we should all get our cell phones out at exactly 9pm tonite and place them on our wood burning stoves and sing a primitive chanting song (like on Dances With Wolves) and dance around the fire, and feel the brotherhood of fire against "THE MAN" and convein on-line later & exchange our heartfelt experiences savoring the melting and outrage against society......
NO.... YOU GO DO THIS ! ... I dont HAFFTA HAVE my cell phone, but I like it, & keep it in my purse - like all other important things that anyone who touchs it will DIE !

I cant say too much. I melted the remote on ours, but it didn't cost as much as an I phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.