Athens pellets at Tractor Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa220

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2012
central ME
Are Athens pellets the same as MWP pellets made in Athens ME? I just called the local Tractor Supply - who is out of pellets - but was told they carry Athens and he is expecting 88 ton in soon. They are an 80/20 blend hardwood/softwood.

Are these worth checking out? I've been reading that MWP is chosen by many of you to burn.

I have also found a place selling softwood LG's 1-1/2 tons for $389. Decent price??

Someone had better check the hard to soft ratio on those MWP that wasn't the ratio I last had. I'd start a converstion with ScotL he is one of the principles of MWP and those Athens pellets are MWP he can verify the current ratio used in their blend.

That price on the LGs works out to $259.33/ton, the last batch of LGs I bought was $235/ton and if you can get them MWP softwood is around the $235/ton delivered IIRC.

The LGs I got were a decent pellet. You might want to search the forums.

Someone had better check the hard to soft ratio on those MWP that wasn't the ratio I last had. I'd start a converstion with ScotL he is one of the principles of MWP and those Athens pellets are MWP he can verify the current ratio used in their blend.

That price on the LGs works out to $259.33/ton, the last batch of LGs I bought was $235/ton and if you can get them MWP softwood is around the $235/ton delivered IIRC.

The LGs I got were a decent pellet. You might want to search the forums.

Thanks, Smokey. I did a lot of calling today for brands and prices, and everytime I was given a pellet name I didn't immediately recognize from the best and worst pellets thread I did a search. Very helpful.

I just bought a few Maine's Choice by Geneva that would work out to $219/ton. I know that was rated high on everyone's list. Green Team, also found some of them but they wold run $279/ton so only bought a few of them too. My selection in my area is limited. :(

Melissa,

The Maine's Choice are a decent pellet. Not high on my list but a good middle of road pellet.
$219 is a bit more that I paid for them last year but I would buy again even at that price.

A ton of them to start/end heating season (shoulder season) would serve you well.
Fill the deep cold heating need with a high BTU pellet of your choice.
I like Vermont's or Okanagan's. And there are others that are good.

Pellet shopping can be fun.
Best advice is what you are doing.
Buy a few bags and try them out.
Don't commit to a ton(s) until you see how they burn and heat.
Hard to do this time of year, but try.
Keep a list of what you like and dislike about each pellet.
Keep in mind Manufacturers change composition so year to year pellets of some brands are different.
find what you like and run with it.

As always keep eye out for deals.
Also, don't be afraid to bring back any pellet bags that are damaged/wet/mush.
Most retailers will swap them out for you no problem.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: tinkabranc
Melissa
Hi i live near Bangor i bought 3 tons of Maine softwood and a ton of Maine wood pellets from sib they will deliver right to your house. Steve puts them right in your garage for you . Very resaonable prices .http://site.sibwoodpellets.com/Home.php
good luck ! If that is tractor supply in Bangor those are MWP to answer your question ;lol

i just got 3 tons of mwp from steve at sibs on thursday.also got 1 ton of mwp softwood..
the mwp are a hardwood blend of 65% hardwood 35% softwood.....got the mix for 210 a ton and softwood for 234/ton...

Melissa
Hi i live near Bangor i bought 3 tons of Maine softwood and a ton of Maine wood pellets from sib they will deliver right to your house. Steve puts them right in your garage for you . Very resaonable prices .http://site.sibwoodpellets.com/Home.php
good luck ! If that is tractor supply in Bangor those are MWP to answer your question ;lol

I will check them out, thanks! unfortunately, I have no garage. Pellets go in the house in the basement. from the driveway, up 5 stairs, thru the door, walk 40 feet go down 13 stairs, place pellet bag, go up 13 stairs, walk 40 feet, go down 5 stairs, repeat. UGH! ;lol I only carried 16 bags one at a time Saturday. Can't wait to get a ton delivered. well, my knees and back can wait.

I will check them out, thanks! unfortunately, I have no garage. Pellets go in the house in the basement. from the driveway, up 5 stairs, thru the door, walk 40 feet go down 13 stairs, place pellet bag, go up 13 stairs, walk 40 feet, go down 5 stairs, repeat. UGH! ;lol I only carried 16 bags one at a time Saturday. Can't wait to get a ton delivered. well, my knees and back can wait.

Do you have a window or bulkhead from the outside? Place a childs slide(not sled) in the window/entryway and slide them in. I like the slide as it has sides to keep them on track.

Melissa,
You won't go wrong with Steve from SIB. Delivery is included in the price of the pellets and if he still has some of the MWP softwoods, those would be a major score.

Melissa,
You won't go wrong with Steve from SIB. Delivery is included in the price of the pellets and if he still has some of the MWP softwoods, those would be a major score.

HarmanLover -are these the bags with the log cabin? There is a local guy in Bangor that has them at $229/ton......

Same guy also has some Geneva 100% hardwood at $229 /ton delivered. Spose to have low ash 8400 BTU output....

You can't go wrong buying from SIBS!

X2 on the slide! I put away 5 tons in one afternoon, going from the driveway to the bulkhead (about 30 yards) ~ down the slide and then stack.

Hmm. I actually have 1 window that could work from (2 windows and they each open differently! Joe Jr. carpenter built my house.) I might have to jury rig a slide...no kids. And the collie only likes to run, chase balls and herd me.

Hmm. I actually have 1 window that could work from (2 windows and they each open differently! Joe Jr. carpenter built my house.) I might have to jury rig a slide...no kids. And the collie only likes to run, chase balls and herd me.

Ask a neighbor or a friend! I don't have any children either, so I borrow my buddy's children's slide.

HarmanLover -are these the bags with the log cabin? There is a local guy in Bangor that has them at $229/ton......

Same guy also has some Geneva 100% hardwood at $229 /ton delivered. Spose to have low ash 8400 BTU output....

The log cabin bag is the regular MWP blend. The softwoods are 100% softwood and are a limited production run that Sibs has had for two years now. Check out his website ASAP to see if he still has them.
Edit: I just checked the site. He's got the MWP hardwoods for $219 delivered cash. Your Harman will burn anything but you've got great options where you are in Maine that you don't have to worry about junk pellets.

I just ordered 2 ton MWP softwood pellets from Sibs,delivery Oct 1. I don't have a slide, but a friend has offered a sled.so I figure I can carry pellets into top of stairs, load the sled, and slide down stairs....the pellets, not me.hopefully!:)

I just ordered 2 ton MWP softwood pellets from Sibs,delivery Oct 1. I don't have a slide, but a friend has offered a sled.so I figure I can carry pellets into top of stairs, load the sled, and slide down stairs....the pellets, not me.hopefully!:)

You won't be disappointed......

Melissa,
2 tons is only 100 bags.
Each bag is only 40lbs.
I unload a ton and stack it in my basement in about 30 minutes.

I have a 4 step walk down from my driveway to the basement.
My procedure is to have an empty pallet (with 4'x4' plywood sheet on top of it)
ready to receive bags. The plywood is to prevent the pallet nails from ripping the bottom bags.

I climb up into the pickup truck bed and rip open the pallet cover(s).
I make 3 six bag stacks on the tailgate of my truck.
I then jump down and swing two bags at a time onto my shoulder.
I walk those down the stairs across the basement and gently drop them onto the waiting pallet.
I re-stack the bags on the waiting pallet in the same 3-2, 2-3 configuration they come in from the factory.

Once the 18 bags on the tailgate are moved, I jump back up and make 3 more six bag stacks. And repeat.
It won't take long and you will be done with 1 ton in under an hour.
With a friend you would only have to make 25 trips each for 2 tons.

Heck of a lot easier than moving 2 tons of firewood.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Melissa,
2 tons is only 100 bags.
Each bag is only 40lbs.
I unload a ton and stack it in my basement in about 30 minutes.
---Nailer---

Only. well, there is only me..and I am all of 5'3" and my path is 5 steps to get into the house then about a 40' walk to reach 13 steps to the basement. I did this for 16 bags I bought over the weekend and my knees paid for it. but thanks for the dream! ()

Good for you Melissa
I bought from them in June was surprised they came all this way .I was Steves only delivery that day up this way .You will be happy he is a good guy too. Tell him Don from Winterport says hi .I told him I would spread the good word about his business .After moving all those pellets you certainly will be in shape and all set to relax by the fire ....;)
Congrats on the purchase ..

Good for you Melissa
I bought from them in June was surprised they came all this way .I was Steves only delivery that day up this way .You will be happy he is a good guy too. Tell him Don from Winterport says hi .I told him I would spread the good word about his business .Congrats on the purchase ..

I will tell him Don. I did mention to the woman that took the order that Sibs came highly recommended from the Hearth Forum and hoped they delivered to the Brewer area. All the positive comments have me wondering if I should call back and ask for another ton, but Dysart's carries LG (ton and a half quantity only) and I understand they are a decent pellet too.

Melissa,

Keep in mind that you're running a Harman. You don't need to be burning the high priced pellets, a decent pellet will be enough.

Melissa,

Keep in mind that you're running a Harman. You don't need to be burning the high priced pellets, a decent pellet will be enough.

So..in your HO, aside from the Oakies (which were given me by the stove dealer),are the pellets I have on hand considered decent? The Maine's Choice were $219/ton.

I personally like the MWP better than the Maine Choice, and I think most on here would agree.

HarmanLover -are these the bags with the log cabin?

The bags with the log cabin are the blend. The softwood have pictures of mountains surrounded by forests. They say 100% Softwood Super Premium Pellets in Red on green.

So..in your HO, aside from the Oakies (which were given me by the stove dealer),are the pellets I have on hand considered decent? The Maine's Choice were $219/ton.
In imo for what it worth i would order more mwp softwood for the winter dysarts will charge delivery unless u have a way to pick em up good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.