Attic Trust Shelves - Using up left over plywood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, since I had a whole bunch of leftover plywood from the shed, I finally had a chance to use it. I did sped $15.00 for 8 - 2x3s to use for runners. I nailed them to the truss and then screwed down the plywood after cutting to size. Each runner is 29 inches long with 40 Deg cuts on each end. The shelf is 29 x 22-1/8 to fit between the trusts. I made 12 shelfs so far! Something to put the suit cases on! LOL
See pics below. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• AtticShelves (1)sc.JPG
    AtticShelves (1)sc.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 648
  • AtticShelves (2)sc.JPG
    AtticShelves (2)sc.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,186
  • AtticShelves (3)sc.jpg
    AtticShelves (3)sc.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 450
  • AtticShelves (4)sc.JPG
    AtticShelves (4)sc.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,026
  • AtticShelves (5)sc.jpg
    AtticShelves (5)sc.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 461
  • AtticShelves (6)sc.jpg
    AtticShelves (6)sc.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: ScotO
Nice project Don..

BTW I have the same DeWalt cordless set. Those LiIon tools just rock dont they :cool:

Great idea-just was up in our mess of an attic getting winter stuff. Need to do this!

Thanks you guys

I just did it today. Nice Sunday afternoon project. I made 12 shelves and I could use 12 more! maybe next Sunday?

That DeWalt Lithion Drill/Driver is the best of the bunch!

We did that in our attic years ago. And it has been years since I ever went back for anything I put up there. Time to clean that time capsule out and put those "valuables" where I should have in the first place.

Tap on picture to open it up

Hehheh . . . not an English teacher, but I actually took a menu out of the protective folder yesterday and corrected a spelling error -- "sacrafice."

Just curious... how thick is your insulation?

My attic is more or less unusable as far as storage space. Only have a 2x2ft opening to get in and I have a bit over 2ft of blown in fiberglass (bit over R60)

Just curious... how thick is your insulation?

My attic is more or less unusable as far as storage space. Only have a 2x2ft opening to get in and I have a bit over 2ft of blown in fiberglass (bit over R60)

Hi Nate

I purchased some 2x4s and ripped them down to 2x2s and nailed them to the 2x4s creating 2x6s! Then I rolled down the reflectix foil over the sheetrock ceiling below. The reflectix is covered with polypropylene to make a good moisture barrier and provide R4 insulation. Then I rolled down R19 Fiberglass between the new 2x6s and crisscrossed with R30 to make R53!

Attachments

• AtticFloor.jpg
    AtticFloor.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 217
Hi Nate

I purchased some 2x4s and ripped them down to 2x2s and nailed them to the 2x4s creating 2x6s! Then I rolled down the reflectix foil over the sheetrock ceiling below. The reflectix is covered with polypropylene to make a good moisture barrier and provide R4 insulation. Then I rolled down R19 Fiberglass between the new 2x6s and crisscrossed with R30 to make R53!
Looking at the photos at the beginning you left the center portion as R23 though to keep the attic functional.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looking at the photos at the beginning you left the center portion as R23 though to keep the attic functional.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looking at the pic from right to left. Old yellow insulation is R7
middle is R7 gone and the Reflectix foil rolled in.
left is Pink fiberglass R19 rolled on top of foil.
After that was done, then R30 was rolled over it criscrossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.