Attn: fyrebug, SBI related question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean putting insulation around the insert? If that's the case there is no problem doing so as long as the insulation is flame retardant. I work for SBI and That's actually what I've done with my insert to increase the efficiency (I used Roxul Rockwool)

Our engineers seem to think it works even better if you can leave a 1" air gap around the insert. Something to do with air circulation. Since my space was pretty tight, I didn't do that.

FyreBug did that improve heat output for you? Was it a measurable difference when tested? Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I have no means of verifying since I installed it brand new so I cant provide a before/after results. I installed a block off plate and that coupled with the insulation, I feel it provides more heat output.

Cool, that is what I was hoping to hear, my plan is to use 1" kaowool blankets to cover the entire back half of the insert.

You know I am surprised that no one sells a wrap like they do for hot water heaters.

Interesting about the gap for the insulation, there is already a gap for the air channel.

I have been putting this project off for the past 2 seasons with the xtd 1.5, guess I will bite the bullet and buy some koawool.

I try to not fire up the insert till late oct. early November, if I get a chance I will do some before and after readings of temps of air being blown out of the insert and all around temp of the insert, I will also take some readings of the fireplace itself to see how much heat is being held in by the kaowool blankets.

Some companies say don't do this. They warn of risk of overfire that could void warranty.

BeGreen said:
Some companies say don't do this. They warn of risk of overfire that could void warranty.
+1 BG

Yeah, I don't know if I'd risk it, this is the first manufacture that I have heard it was ok. If your looking for a little more output you could also remove the surround panels to let that wasted heat out.

The only time you would really have to worry about over fire would be during a power outage, I have a 2000VA UPS hooked up to my fan, on high it will run for 15 hours, medium even longer, after that the surround comes off and the kaowool.

I run my insert at 500-550 degrees topside, that would have be be a rip roaring fire to really do over fire damage to the inner firebox with the fan running, the hottest topside I have seen is 700, that was during the -0 very windy days last winter where I had to run it hard.

I think I'm going to pass on this. I often have my stove peaking above or near 700 and I'm very happy with the heat output. We almost never have power outages here, but we do sometimes run the insert without the fan on.

Hey Mellow- I have the Flame 1.9 with the 2.3 cu.ft. firebox. Have you had any issues with burn times? I have been in contact with some techs from SBI, and they suggested covering the primary air intake hole (under the firebox, behind the blower) with aluminum tape. I think I may have an issue with overdraft, and have been considering installing a key damper above the stove( I have access from the back). I realize that your firebox is smaller than mine, but how have you made out with burn times (specifically, with secondaries firing)?

As I mentioned in another thread I do have some overdraft with my 25ft insulated liner, to combat this I have tested and found moving the kaowool that lays on the top baffle towards the front helps to reduce some of the vacuum from the liner and keeps the temps warmer in the firebox and help with burn times, as a damper would do I am slowing down the exhaust.

I estimate a good burn time by when I can go to bed at 10pm with a packed firebox and then wake up in the morning at 8am to find enough warm coals to easily restart the fire without having to use a super cedar.

I have never had problems having plenty of coals left in the AM, I am just trying to slow primary combustion down a bit. Do you have the piece of angled steel that sits in front of the baffle (mine seems to shift around a bit)? I wonder if laying a piece of steel plate on top of the baffle, extending toward the front of the stove, would accomplish the reduction of draft I am looking for? It IS an awfully big channel up there,ya know..... too wide, I believe.

Oh, I see. You slipped a strip of kaowool UNDER the blanket right near the front lip - essentially reducing the opening, right? That sounds a lot easier than installing a damper in my liner. Have you tried the aluminum tape on the primary air hole?

I've also got an overdraft situation in my insert. I started a thread last week on this to see if anyone had come up with a surefire solution to deal with this. And the answer is basically not really.

I've submitted a design request to our engineering team to see if they could come up with some idea to invent a simple device to bring to market to fix this problem.

I have a feeling this is more common than we think.

wood-fan-atic said:
Oh, I see. You slipped a strip of kaowool UNDER the blanket right near the front lip - essentially reducing the opening, right? That sounds a lot easier than installing a damper in my liner. Have you tried the aluminum tape on the primary air hole?

No I haven't, I wanted to see if this worked first, I was hoping to try and emulate a damper installed and it has seemed to work so far.

I tested this theory first with smoke bombs believe it or not, I find they are good at gauging your updraft. I light them, throw them in, close the door with the air intake closed wait for the firebox to fill with smoke then open the air intake and time to see how fast it escapes with the kaowool pulled up to the front and bunched up.

Status
Not open for further replies.