Auger Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Last night I had my first auger jam since last January when i had several with freedom fuel. I picked up some inferno pellets from lowes last night. While dumping them in I did notice the pellets were a little long... I woke up 3 a.m. to a 51 degree house.. un jammed the auger and went to sleep. How frustrating. I still am having issues with my back up englander. I still can smell what I think is exhaust even though I can see no visible smoke. my wife says I am crazy. Just in case i keep it on 1-2 which barely takes the chill out of the room its in and does nothing for the rest of the house. I have become increasingly frustrated with my pellet stoves.

Hello

I just burned a dozen bags of Lowes Infernos Pellets in my Avalon Astoria with no problems even though some were longer.

In my experience what causes auger jams is dampness. When I cleaned the back brick and left it damp - Auger Jam!

Also in the fall if there was alot of damp air coming in from outside thru the OAK - Auger Jam!

Now there is a Avalon Service Bullitin that states to remove the Fuel Gate because that also contributes enormously to the Auger Jam!
The fuel gate at the end of the drop shute was added a few years back to prevent back burn that only happened if a very few rare cases when the customer did not keep his stove clean. It is really unnecessary, please remove it!

So if the Pellets have been brought in from a cold storage area and dumped into the hopper, this too can cause an Auger Jam!
Bring the bags in near the stove to warm up to room temp before using.

After removing the fuel gate and following the rules above, I have never had an Auger Jam since!!

Hope this helps! Keep Burning and Stay Warm!!!

Good Luck!

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 294
I bet if you buy pellets from a decent hearth shop you may pay a little extra but not have these issues. You could also replace the Englander with another Astoria before the tax credit expires.

Concerning the smoke smell, try replacing or siliconing around the gasket on the combustion blower if you're sure the pipe joints are sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.