auger motor wont slide off auger, Lopi Foxfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanDean777

Jan 6, 2011
Western Colorado
My auger keeps binding up so I have followed the guide on how to remove the motor from the auger, but I can not remove it. I think the motor shaft is really scarred and won't slide off. It will actually turn the auger with out a locking bolt. Any suggestions on how to get it off? I have even tried a prybar and nothing. Thanks.

Not familiar with your particular stove, but many auger will get fowled up with pellet dust getting in the shart end and scorching. Not really scarring, but like the build up on a table saw blade. Treat it the same way. Get some blade cleaner (or if you are cheap like me try Easy-Off oven cleaner). Spray several times and wiggle to get the cleaner down inside. Let sit for several minutes and try to pull apart. If they won't move, try again.

I would staly away from the brute force and prybar, You don't want to bend the auger and force a replacement.

can you go ahead and pull the auger w/ motor still attached so you can get on the bench instead of the cramped quarters of the stove.

What you need is some kind of a spreader,seperator tool.??? Force will be needed at some point down the line and the rule of thumb is to apply the force no more than could possible damage the other metals structures in play. Long and the short of it, look at how much destruction it would take to destroy the part and if so if everything is very rugged,then you could use some prying,in a smart way. For instance,two screwdrivers positioned equally on both sides with good leverage(add shims if necessary) could work in a pinch. The auger shaft has a slot on the end for a setscrew I assume? And it is square with the position of the setscrew? If not ,align them first.You might get lucky.

Thanks guys I. I thought about penetrating fluid, but I will try the stove spray first. As for pulling the auger, it too is not wanting to come out. The manual that I have, I don't believe it is the correct one as I don't have plates and bolts in the same place as they state. I am second owner of the stove and the auger looks as if someone locked vise grips on it to un-jam it so I want to remove it to file it smooth. Could the silicone be holding the auger in, as I have removed all bolts require for removal?

AlanDean777 said:
Thanks guys I. I thought about penetrating fluid, but I will try the stove spray first. As for pulling the auger, it too is not wanting to come out. The manual that I have, I don't believe it is the correct one as I don't have plates and bolts in the same place as they state. I am second owner of the stove and the auger looks as if someone locked vise grips on it to un-jam it so I want to remove it to file it smooth. Could the silicone be holding the auger in, as I have removed all bolts require for removal?
Different stove but this may apply.
When I was messing with the auger on my Quad MT Vernon Ae insert there was Loctite along with the set screw on the shaft to keep it from coming apart, not so much fun taking that apart without destroying things.

Finally got it. Had to take the stove apart and remove the auger housing with the motor, then persuaded it to come apart with a 2lb hammer and 2fat heavy chisels. The lock nut at one time had not been tightened properly so it had scored the shaft really bad. I used a file to get it back smooth and checked for a good smooth fit. The auger is still in the housing and it is making a dragging noise and kinda hangs up. I can't get the end caps off so I may have to get a puller of some sort or drop it off at the stove store. Once it is out, I will be able to file the auger so it won't hang up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.