Auger Squeal on P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivr

Jun 7, 2008
Seacoast, NH
Last night the Auger started squealing on my new P61a. So I did a complete cleaning and made sure to get any carbon near the auger. Refilled it and it still squealed. Called the dealer and he told me to pull the auger and check the tuibe. Sure enough once I had the motor off and the auger out on the burnpot end of the tube about 1/2" inch in was a build up of carbon and what looked like hardened pellet dust. A real pain in the butt to clean out. Now I am just guessing here but I bet it is mostly caused by fines. I dont sift the NEWP's I just dump the bag in maybe I should start.

What do you folks use to sift pellets?

Drivr said:
Last night the Auger started squealing on my new P61a. So I did a complete cleaning and made sure to get any carbon near the auger. Refilled it and it still squealed. Called the dealer and he told me to pull the auger and check the tuibe. Sure enough once I had the motor off and the auger out on the burnpot end of the tube about 1/2" inch in was a build up of carbon and what looked like hardened pellet dust. A real pain in the butt to clean out. Now I am just guessing here but I bet it is mostly caused by fines. I dont sift the NEWP's I just dump the bag in maybe I should start.

What do you folks use to sift pellets?

When I do my weekly shut done to give my stove a good cleaning I take a long flat head screwdriver and scrape that area. I get the auger out of the way by using the test feed to turn it so the end is out of the way. I use a chisel to get the carbon off the burn pot and on the outside of where the auger is, works well just wish the chisel had a longer handle.

sounds normal to me
checking the tube was to see if the buildup was back farther, like about halfway.......
make sure the area at the discharge of the auger tube (the bottom of the burnpot) is clinker free.

I built a special tool to scrape inside the auger tube. ( large bent screwdriver ). I clean my insert once a week. It seems to build up more in the tube when it is running on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.