Avalon 996 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailenforcer

Sep 16, 2007
I have an avalon 996 wood stove this is a insert or wood stove. I due to a lack of wood pellets and insane prices on wood pellets where they went up more than twice the cost in 6 months.

I have a fireplace and want to install the stove as an insert as it was designed for. I will order a Chimney liner from Olympic next week. New firebrick, and the ceramic blanket in the top of the firebox. is there anything I should know, this will be my first wood insert.

Also running a blower to force air into the heat chamber of the stove while inserted. Where can I get one of those and not be *****! in the process. My local dealer loves to **** people with his prices. hes almost double anyone else on the same products.

Can I make a blower for this? I am an electrical engineer and it looks simple with some duct work sheet metal and either a dual squirrel cage blower or twin high out put muffin fans on a dimmer or Rheostat to control the fan speeds. Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome. Look up Travis Industries and call them, they will send you a manual for free which has all of the info on setting up the stove properly. Also ask the experts here for advice, they are great. Consider a full liner install as it is the safest and best performing. As far as a blower, the original blowers should run you around $175-$200. I made one exactly as you said, 2 muffin fans (24VDC) with a rheostat and a "snap switch" temp swith to turn it on and off automatically. I believe the switch was "always open" and closed at around 160 degrees, I found that at a HVAC supplier. Good luck and enjoy!

Could you provide a photo of the blower you made. I wouldn't mind seeing how you did it for ideas.

JMF1 said:
Hi and welcome. Look up Travis Industries and call them, they will send you a manual for free which has all of the info on setting up the stove properly. Also ask the experts here for advice, they are great. Consider a full liner install as it is the safest and best performing. As far as a blower, the original blowers should run you around $175-$200. I made one exactly as you said, 2 muffin fans (24VDC) with a rheostat and a "snap switch" temp swith to turn it on and off automatically. I believe the switch was "always open" and closed at around 160 degrees, I found that at a HVAC supplier. Good luck and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.