Avalon Arbor "combustor"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer954

Dec 25, 2009
new hampshire
I was hoping to get some tips/suggestions from anybody that has replaced their combustor on the avalon arbor. The stove is 1 year old and it appears as if the inside "material" is falling down/crumbling. You can see this if you look just pass the venting ducts into the combustor with a flashlight. Is this a job that can be performed by a novice?

Can the stove still operate safely until I get a chance to replace this? I need to call the manufacturer and stove shop to see if this is still under warrantee. (I was hoping it was)

My wife and I are newbies to burning wood (although she grew up with one,) We have found it a little "tricky" figuring out the avalon arbor. We live on a ridge and when it's windy, the stove burns ALOT hotter. We were thinking of getting a chimney cap or maybe a stove pipe damper. Any suggestions on this would be awesome as well.

Thank you to whomever is out there reading these questions.

parts of those combustors will flake off, and you should be able to use it untill you get it replaced... sometimes it looks way worse than it actually is inside there, but you should use caution when cleaning it out or handling it. Only 1 yr old, it should be wtty covered, and it is a simple job to replace it yourself. We carry the LOPI leyden stove (same stove, just marketed under a different name) and I have seen this happen B4 when the package gets impacted by cleaning.

Trainer954 said:
I was hoping to get some tips/suggestions from anybody that has replaced their combustor on the avalon arbor. The stove is 1 year old and it appears as if the inside "material" is falling down/crumbling. You can see this if you look just pass the venting ducts into the combustor with a flashlight. Is this a job that can be performed by a novice?

Can the stove still operate safely until I get a chance to replace this? I need to call the manufacturer and stove shop to see if this is still under warrantee. (I was hoping it was)

My wife and I are newbies to burning wood (although she grew up with one,) We have found it a little "tricky" figuring out the avalon arbor. We live on a ridge and when it's windy, the stove burns ALOT hotter. We were thinking of getting a chimney cap or maybe a stove pipe damper. Any suggestions on this would be awesome as well.

Thank you to whomever is out there reading these questions.

Go here:

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/100-01190_000.pdf

Page 35 shows the schematic & gives some rather "thin" cat removal instructions.
IF the cat is shot, it'll still burn safely, but not cleanly.
Are you getting smoke from your chimney while burning
at the optimum temperatures?
If you're burning properly seasoned (<20% MC) wood, you shouldn't see
ANYTHING but heat "ripples" coming out.
How tall is your system?
Generally speaking, with a system less than 22 feet, you won't need an in-line damper...(YMMV)
If you don't have a cap GET ONE. If only to keep the rain out of your system...
HTH & Merry Christmas...

I believe this stove and its sister stove the Lopi Leyden are downdraft stoves, not cat. The combustor assembly is a ceramic secondary combustion chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.