avalon arbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolfie

Mar 25, 2008
Highland Mills, NY
I have an avalon arbor stove and the fire brick in the back is cracked I was wondering if there is anything I can seal it with or should I just replace it.

Thank You
Michael

First question that needs to be answered is does the "fire brick" serve other than a decorative purpose?

If the "fire brick" is actually required in order to safely operate the stove, I would replace it.

If it is decorative only, I'd attempt to repair it using a high temperature compound made by Rutland (retort and furnace cement) by applying it in thin layers to build up any damaged areas, if the repair works fine if it doesn't you can still either replace or toss it.

Somewhere there is a thread that Snowy Rivers had that dealt with this kind of repair. I used the stuff to bond repair patches on an old hot air furnace years ago. Its temperature characteristics are what you need for the repair as to color matching don't expect miracles and I'm not sure if the repaired piece could safely be used as other than a decorative piece.

What year was the stove made? Is the "firebrick" panel a ceramic or cast iron material (check w/ magnet)? Is the crack at the very bottom under the pellet chute? Can you snap a pic of the crack & post it?

From what I remember when I had my Astoria, the "firebrick" panel is just decorative....a small crack isn't anything to worry about, IMO.

I have the Lopi Leyden, same stove.

My original ceramic firebrick cracked within one year. They don't make that ceramic stuff anymore, the interior brick panels are now made of cast iron painted brick red and are real nice and will last forever. They replaced mine under warranty.

If I were you I'd get rid of those piece-of-crap ceramic ones and get the cast.

I always assumed that the panel was to keep the lower hooper and exhaust vents from getting too hot by exposure to direct flame.

SmokeyTheBear said:
First question that needs to be answered is does the "fire brick" serve other than a decorative purpose?

If the "fire brick" is actually required in order to safely operate the stove, I would replace it.

If it is decorative only, I'd attempt to repair it using a high temperature compound made by Rutland (retort and furnace cement) by applying it in thin layers to build up any damaged areas, if the repair works fine if it doesn't you can still either replace or toss it.

Somewhere there is a thread that Snowy Rivers had that dealt with this kind of repair. I used the stuff to bond repair patches on an old hot air furnace years ago. Its temperature characteristics are what you need for the repair as to color matching don't expect miracles and I'm not sure if the repaired piece could safely be used as other than a decorative piece.

thanks for the reply I am just going to order a new one..Mike

imacman said:
What year was the stove made? Is the "firebrick" panel a ceramic or cast iron material (check w/ magnet)? Is the crack at the very bottom under the pellet chute? Can you snap a pic of the crack & post it?

From what I remember when I had my Astoria, the "firebrick" panel is just decorative....a small crack isn't anything to worry about, IMO.

Thanks for the reply...The fire brick is made from ceramic so I am going to order the cast Iron

thanks Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.