Avalon Olympic or Jotul F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Dec 30, 2005
Wolcott, CT
I am looking to replace my VC Encore non-cat and have narrowed it down to the Olympic and F600. Just looking to hear some feedback on what people have to say about them besides the stove ratings page. I know they are different stoves because the Jotul is cast while the Olmpic is steel. Would I go wrong with buying either one of these? I am heating about 2000 sq. ft. and the Encore has done a decent job of heating the house. Don't want to end up in the situation I am in now where my Encore is not that great after only 5 years and needs some parts replaced.

Personally, I'd go with the Olympic. Avalon/Lopi stoves are very high quality products. The Olympic will give you a longer burn time (12 hours vs. 10 hours in the F600), & it is also a convective stove (it uses a 5-sided convection chamber to heat air & circulate it through the room with out using a blower). The F600, I believe, is a radiant-only stove. I also think the Olympic is a bit larger (I can't confirm this, because I can't find a firebox size for the F600).
I also like the looks of the Olympic better, but that's just my personal opinion ;)

As far as Iron vs. Steel, Iron stoves will take longer to heat up & longer to cool down than steel ones.

Also, Avalon/Lopi stoves are made in Mukilteo, Wa, so if you're in to buying American-made products, go with the Olympic.

Never burned an Avalon, but I know they have a great reputation. I did sell Jotul for 13 years or so at my last job and was proud to do so. I would say as far as quality goes, you'll be happy with both. Your bigger concern should be if you would be happier with radiant or convection heat.

Mt Ski Bum said:
Personally, I'd go with the Olympic. Avalon/Lopi stoves are very high quality products. The Olympic will give you a longer burn time (12 hours vs. 10 hours in the F600), & it is also a convective stove (it uses a 5-sided convection chamber to heat air & circulate it through the room with out using a blower). The F600, I believe, is a radiant-only stove. I also think the Olympic is a bit larger (I can't confirm this, because I can't find a firebox size for the F600).
I also like the looks of the Olympic better, but that's just my personal opinion ;)

As far as Iron vs. Steel, Iron stoves will take longer to heat up & longer to cool down than steel ones.

Also, Avalon/Lopi stoves are made in Mukilteo, Wa, so if you're in to buying American-made products, go with the Olympic.

F 600 is a 3 cu ft firebox (the avalon is 3.1) so for the most part they are equal. The Jotul is rated for about 7,000 more btu/hour than the Avalon.

I am more of a radiant heat guy, and I am in the process of looking at the Jotul F 600- cannot find a single complaint about one (wish I could so i could compare notes). I have heard about the Avalon and again, not heard any bad things.
Beyond the convection vs. radiant heat, I just think the looks of the Jotul kicks a--! What a sleek looking lady!

Shaun said:
I am looking to replace my VC Encore non-cat and have narrowed it down to the Olympic and F600. Just looking to hear some feedback on what people have to say about them besides the stove ratings page. I know they are different stoves because the Jotul is cast while the Olmpic is steel. Would I go wrong with buying either one of these? I am heating about 2000 sq. ft. and the Encore has done a decent job of heating the house. Don't want to end up in the situation I am in now where my Encore is not that great after only 5 years and needs some parts replaced.
Had the first generation Encore cat, when they called it the Defiant Encore. Upgraded to a Jotul Oslo F500 two years ago, and compared to the cantankerous Encore, the Jotul if fabulous. I get a little more heat and a little longer burn time out of the Oslo, but I attribute that to the somewhat larger firebox. If you're looking for a stove with just a little more output than your Encore, the Oslo might be the better size. But, if you want even more output and an even larger firebox, go for the F600.

If you're looking to keep a similar styling of stove to the Encore, go for the Jotul.

Status
Not open for further replies.