AVALON PENDLETON INSERT with questions/ story first

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
So I went to a fireplace store the other day to check out an Osburn Stratford zero clearance fireplace. Someone here said he has no complants about it. Even though this store was considered to be an authorized dealer, She imediately steered me to a top of the line fireplace extrordinair. She said this was the best of the best and there was no other to compare. After her shpeel, found out this is the only fireplace she knew how to sell.
Well I dont have 5 grand for the stove and parts alone, not including dismantle of my fireplace, ripping out my chase and rebuilding the entire outside as well as inside, or even shipping it to the store, I would cover that, I would have to find someway to pic it up at the store and get it home(not shipped to my home). Besides for a big fireplace, I felt it was overkill for the 1100 square feet I would be heating.

So I went to another FP store and showed them what I had , and asked what options do I have. After 4 different setups, she showed me the Avalon Pendleton insert. It has been tested for this application(zero clear) and approved. alot Cheaper too.
Someone will be coming to measure and checkout my FP to see if what modifications will need to be made.

Just want to know if someone has this insert (pendleton) and what are the pros and cons.
another thing is I have 1100 square feet to heat and the range on this stove is to 1200.
Will I be killing the stove to heat the house?

Will be trying overnight burns too, says up to 8hour burn, does that mean i will get 6?
Will be doing nightly burns as well as weekend 24/day when it gets really cold, too.

TIA for answers, Chris

from this to this. . .

Attachments

• fire4.jpg
    fire4.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 363
  • pendleton.jpg
    pendleton.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 349
Everyone I have heard of that has the Avalon stoves is happy with them, so I think that's a good bet for you with little modification! Only thing is, the Pendleton is their smallest one in that line, only a 1.3 cubic foot firebox so as good as it is it might be a little tough to get overnight burns etc like you are talking about. Perhaps you could get the Ranier which is a size up? You might also consider the Lopi line which is also made by travis industries like the avalon, they have the Revere insert, or the comparable slightly cheaper Republic 1750, or the smaller Republic 1250. But since you finally found a stove shop that you are comfortable with, maybe just see if the place you talked to about the Avalon has the Ranier as an option, if you are hoping for overnights etc.

just read the fine print to find out the Rainer is also approved for my application. I would be in favor of that one b/c it would put my sq feet in the midrange of the maximum (1600).

fire_N_ice said:
just read the fine print to find out the Rainer is also approved for my application. I would be in favor of that one b/c it would put my sq feet in the midrange of the maximum (1600).

Awesome! I'd go for that, then! I believe the Avalon stoves can be worked with or without the surround and can even be put on legs for a freestanding if you choose to take it out of the fireplace someday or move it to another location.

Also, if you do a search for avalon here on hearth.com you will see a lot of folks with experience with those particular stoves, some nice pics too!

Status
Not open for further replies.