Awesome Score!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risser09

Jun 26, 2008
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
At work yesterday, a tree service came in, trimmed and took down some trees. Hackberry and cherry, all cut to length (some are a little long). The head of maintenance had the guys leave them for all the woodburners to scrounge. Guess who got 3 HEAPING truckloads so far? Anyway, brought the truck today to scrounge another huge load. Looks like I'll be splitting/sawing/stacking aaallllllll weekend. Nothing beats free wood, already cut. It just made me laugh when people looked at me so perplexed, as I was throwing all this wood into the truck like a lunatic. Those some folks are gonna be whining about gas prices all winter. =-P

Anyone else come across any gems lately?

Risser09 said:
At work yesterday, a tree service came in, trimmed and took down some trees. Hackberry and cherry, all cut to length (some are a little long). The head of maintenance had the guys leave them for all the woodburners to scrounge. Guess who got 3 HEAPING truckloads so far? Anyway, brought the truck today to scrounge another huge load. Looks like I'll be splitting/sawing/stacking aaallllllll weekend. Nothing beats free wood, already cut. It just made me laugh when people looked at me so perplexed, as I was throwing all this wood into the truck like a lunatic. Those some folks are gonna be whining about gas prices all winter. =-P

Good for You! thats keeping your eye wide open

First off....Good score!

If you really want to live the "high life" make friends with a tree service or two. Having free wood DELIVERED to your house is where it's at. I know these types of relationships are hit or miss and some networking is involved but I know several tree guys that have to pay to get rid of their wood so they gladly bring it over to my house. The smaller businesses without grapple trucks are the guys to introduce yourself to (they're forced to cut the trunks down to a manageable sizes). My guy will be getting a case of Super Ceders this Christmas in appreciation for his 4 cord contribution to my firewood pile.

Edit: I have a friend on Long Island who does the same thing. He was forced to have them stop coming, he was getting to much wood.

Way to go. I'm heading out for another load of fir this morning - not free - 50 a cord and it's taking some work to get it, but worth the effort. And if I really want to feel good about it I saw some bundled campfire wood at a local store. It was $5.50 for 0.7 cu ft. Think that works out to just over $1000 per cord. So now I'm feeling REALLY good about my wood. And like u, I'm always on the lookout for a good wood score.

Catskill said:
First off....Good score!

If you really want to live the "high life" make friends with a tree service or two. Having free wood DELIVERED to your house is where it's at. I know these types of relationships are hit or miss and some networking is involved but I know several tree guys that have to pay to get rid of their wood so they gladly bring it over to my house. The smaller businesses without grapple trucks are the guys to introduce yourself to (they're forced to cut the trunks down to a manageable sizes). My guy will be getting a case of Super Ceders this Christmas in appreciation for his 4 cord contribution to my firewood pile.

Edit: I have a friend on Long Island who does the same thing. He was forced to have them stop coming, he was getting to much wood.
Yep that is another good way i have gotten better than 5 cords that way

Risser09 said:

Nice score, its always nice to be ahead of the game for next year.......money in the bank for 2009/2010 !
Although not free, My buddie and I scored just over 4 cords of logs for next year (75 bucks a cord.) not too shabby......

WoodButcher

Excellent score. I know how you feel loading the truck in a frenzy ... you feel like you must get as much as you can as fast as you can! I'm glad I'm not the only person around with this problem.

Yeah, I work with a lot of young people (I'm only 25 myself) who probably don't have a need for wood. It was just funny to see the faces staring as I was hustling.

Funny when people are looking at you confused as you move your arse - like they never do.

Lots of people out there who piss and moan but aren't willing to lift a finger.

All of us would be quite the opposite.

timfromohio said:
Excellent score. I know how you feel loading the truck in a frenzy ... you feel like you must get as much as you can as fast as you can! I'm glad I'm not the only person around with this problem.

Yeah I can relate. When I load like that my arms feel like Jackie Chan on speed trying to keep Roseanne away from a buffet table.

Rockey said:
Yeah I can relate. When I load like that my arms feel like Jackie Chan on speed trying to keep Roseanne away from a buffet table.

funny . . .and .. scary

I had a similar adrenaline rush on some freshly cut oak left in center of town a month ago, I freakin' hauled a double s down there, lesson learned that day was to bring the 8lber with me b/c a couple rounds were north of 100 lbs

Risser09 said:

Two weeks ago I scrounged a 20 foot long by 26 inch diameter white oak laying in the ditch three miles down the road. Car hit the tree from best I can tell, plastic car parts all over the ditch. Was really rotted in the center, but only the very bottom of the trunk. Somebody took all the limbs and branches and left the trunk. Wasn't even six feet from the road. Cut it into rounds and rolled them onto the trailer. Just finished splitting and stacking that over the weekend.

guys its september and we are talking about scores.........WE NEED PICTURES!!!! i can't feel the "rush" you get unless i SEE it then its like wow!!!!! my blood starts going!!!! SO SHOW ME THE PICS!!!!!!!!
NOT FLAMING ANYONE JUST WANNA SEE.....

Risser09 said:
....snip....It just made me laugh when people looked at me so perplexed, as I was throwing all this wood into the truck like a lunatic.

Next time take a video and put that old Benny Hill music to it. :)

Seriously, Good score.

This is the time of year when the power line crews start cutting away and leaving in the ditches. Coming up soon, I'll be keeping a gallon of mix, my chainsaw bag and the saw in the truck full time. Also the log chain, 6lb maul and splitting wedges. I've got an extended cab and everything goes in the back except the gallon of mix. That way I'm ready anytime I see anything along the side of the road.

Good take Risser...cherry is one of my favorite burning woods.

I get all my wood from my father in laws property, which is 90% sugar maple and cherry. Last week me and my boy were out there and I spotted a hickory, good size one as well. A few years ago my FIL let some guys do some logging there, and they were after the hickory. Apperantly they passed on this tree because it wasn't very straight. After bucking it, I had 3 full loads in my s-10!

Risser09 said:

Had to ask, I know this is an old post, so do you have any of that wood left? or are you just starting to burn it? How long did it take to season it and what kind of wood was this?

Catskill said:
First off....Good score!

I guess I have to try harder to make friends with the tree services here in Ulster County.

Nice. They're pruning oaks by me, but stopped since the snows been here.. calling for another storm tonight. Waiting for it to clear and get some more wood.

Recently the DOT bought right of way to build a new highway only a few miles from my home through a thick stretch of tall oaks with few branches for the first 20 - 30 feet. i have a 16 foot trailer and 3/4 ton truck. i loaded up a total of 25 ricks and have split 15 of those ricks by hand. only 10 left.

woke up this morning to the sound of chainsaws in the neighborhood. I sprinted to my truck to find out a tree service was taking down 2 huge sycamores right down the street. The guy across from the house claimed come of the wood, but normally only keeps 3in and smaller. The tree guys were MORE than happy to drop the rest in my front yard! Too bad Im going away this weekend, cause Im dying to see what I get and to start splitting!

Just cleared out from my last scrounge and Im think I easily got a cord

Nice score.
Free wood is golden.
Don't ever forget the amount of your work that goes into getting it processed & ready to burn is
real $$$ you worked for & non-taxed that goes into your pocket!
Real value there.
Golden!!

Status
Not open for further replies.