B.C. Bibb, Wizard stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScotchIrish

Jan 22, 2020
Roanoke, Va
Hello everyone
A newbie here.
Just bought an old stove made by B.C. Bibb. Has the Name 'Wizard' on it. Also number 19 ..17
Trying to get an approximate age (snd value just for curiosity).

Attachments

• 20200121_133940.jpg
    20200121_133940.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20200121_164816.jpg
    20200121_164816.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 136
Around 1900. Before 1900 they were more ornate. It was not in the 1892 catalog and I don't have the newer 1907, 122 page Bibbs Catalog of Stoves, Ranges and Fireplace Heaters. That would probably show it. For an exact age you really need to find a copy of the 1907 catalog. (that will probably cost more than the stove) It shows many new models and new pricing. 20 pages were devoted to cookstove model changes and new parlor stoves were in the back of the book with many new models. That would determine if it was in production before those new models were released dating it before or after 1907.
I have some information (and obituaries) from The Metal Worker which is a weekly journal for stoves, plumbing and steam fitters. The family and company is mentioned in "Iron Age" publications as well.
The foundry began in Port Deposit MD. in 1841, Bently Bibb started with a partner Robbins, (Robins and Bibb) and 8 years later dissolved into Bibb Co. only, and 1851 opened the business and sales offices 101 -109 Light Street Baltimore MD. where Bently himself was from.
They were marked Bibbs and Son, with Bently C. Bibbs President and son in law Abraham Stehman General Manager and Treasurer. Abraham W. Stehman had married Bently's daughter Catherine Amanda Bibb in 1878. 1885 when they incorporated as B.C. Bibbs Stove Co. Bently employed 100 men and died June 1894. His son in law Abraham Stehman became President and Treasurer. This is when the new styles were introduced. He died Nov. 11, 1917 still President and Treasurer at 78. They had no children.

Of many sources used, this one having the only picture of Bently. books
Stehman photo in The Metal Worker; books
I can tell you prices were climbing into the $5.00 range when it was made. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
What a thorough and interesting reply.
Thank you for it. From what you are saying it sounds like it is turn of the century, so at least 100 years old. Good enough for me.
I have disassembled it and am restoring it.
Thanks