Baby Bear New owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BearBaby

Oct 16, 2018
EASTERN WA
I needed a wood stove My first ever, having lived in LA CA all of my life. I moved to eastern WA and paid $1500. over the first 5 months of my fist winter for electric forced air heat. That was a shock. I found my Fisher Baby Bear outside a barn over in the Idaho Panhandle 90 min drive. It was offered for $200. I had never heard of the stove but could tell even from the tiny photo of the rusted hulk with weeds grown all around it that it was a well built unit and would serve my needs if it was not rusted or burnt out.

I googled the stove and saw a few on ebay and read a few reviews and knew this was a much better stove than the $900. or more stoves I was looking at sold new.

I agreed to go see it, since it was a 3 hour round trip, I drome my little hatch back to save on gas. Once there I wanted it. Once there I drug it out looked for warp, rust other than surface rust and any burned through areas. Finding none of that, the only issues were it was missing one round chrome ball foot, we both looked and I asked the grandson who was selling Grandads hoard and cleaning up the property to call me if they found it........ The only real issue was the Draft knob's threads were stripped. The knob works well as is I have full open and I can slide it on the bold shaft closed or any adjustment between closed and full open. I may drill the center and add an tube and tap it. But at this point it is fully adjustable. So for the effort of the long drive and loading and unloading a 250 pound stove into and out of my little hatchback car I have a great value and a stove I will take with me if I sell this house. $150. and a can of paint.

Barr Castings has the original draft cap molds and sells them online here; https://shop-barrcasting.com/
Ask them for one aluminum draft cap with steel threaded insert. Keep it greased with high temp grease and it will last a lifetime. These 1/4 inch steel plate stoves with firebrick don't burn through like unprotected cast iron.