Baby Moose in the Sprinkler!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids just want to have fun.

Glad they are not in my yard, it's nice to watch until you have to go out and pick up the moose poops.

Thanks pretty cool...thanks for the link.

daveswoodhauler said:
Thanks pretty cool...thanks for the link.

My dental hygienist sent it to me this morning.

Zap

YooperWife said:
I'm told they are here in the Eastern UP. Have yet to see one, myself. How adorable. Thanks for sharing.

In some areas of the eastern UP there have been moose for many, many years. Other areas more recently. There seem to be several in the central part now too. More further west though. I hope you get to see some.

BeGreen said:
Kids just want to have fun.

Glad they are not in my yard, it's nice to watch until you have to go out and pick up the moose poops.

Did some say Moose poop?
Doing a test this year, used as planters. drilled a 1/4" hole
Moose nuggets & broccoli seeds: (have to feed the moose broccoli seeds is the tough part) :) LOL

Attachments

• 100_4729.jpg
    100_4729.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 538
YooperWife said:
I'm told they are here in the Eastern UP. Have yet to see one, myself. How adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Not that adorable when you hit one at 65mph. Luckily, i hit the 600lb moose with my tractor trailer w/moose bumper. Bumper worked, had to replace the bumper, but it worked.

Great footage! and twins, too.

There were moose where I grew up, I recall watching a bull clear a 4 1/2' fence, lumber across a field, clear the other side of the fence and disappear into a planted grove of pines that I knew was planted closely. I still don't know how something that big with a full rack was able to move through dense cover so effortlessly. They're beautiful creatures.

And I've seen what happens when cars and moose collide... not much left of a car or a pick up when you consider the size of a moose and the resultant force and lift to the body when it's hit at 55-65 MPH. Moose browse the sides of the road at this time of year, lapping up residual salt desposits along the roadways. They're esp. active pre-dawn and dusk. SLOW DOWN in their territory, "it could save your life".

Bobbin said:
Great footage! and twins, too.

There were moose where I grew up, I recall watching a bull clear a 4 1/2' fence, lumber across a field, clear the other side of the fence and disappear into a planted grove of pines that I knew was planted closely. I still don't know how something that big with a full rack was able to move through dense cover so effortlessly. They're beautiful creatures.

And I've seen what happens when cars and moose collide... not much left of a car or a pick up when you consider the size of a moose and the resultant force and lift to the body when it's hit at 55-65 MPH. Moose browse the sides of the road at this time of year, lapping up residual salt desposits along the roadways. They're esp. active pre-dawn and dusk. SLOW DOWN in their territory, "it could save your life".

INdeed, in the Northern part of NH along route 16 (real close to ME) the road is very twisty and has many cracks that hold the salt. The road there is stained red by all the car strikes on Moose and Deer, scary. Best of all, no cell service around there, so remember to duck as they come through the windshield. My uncle hit a moose with a Caddy a few years ago, moose walked away, car looked like it got thrown off a bridge. Amazing.

I was in high school when a guy in town hit a moose at about 55 mph. The impact killed the moose and it landed atop the hood and roof, parially crushing the latter. The guy was very, very lucky (and wearing a seatbelt in 1976!). He lived about a mile down the highway and drove the vehicle home with the moose on top of it, called the game warden, and within about half an hour there were several townies there "willing to take the meat" (nothing went to waste!). The Ford Ranchero was totalled. The sight of that crushed vehicle has stayed with me all these years, just as the t-boned vehicle in which a friend of mine was maimed for life has.

Lesson: wear your seatbelt all the time and slow your ass down when the light is low and road signs (or good sense) tell you wildlife may wander into your path!

Thanks, bogydave, I was gonna ask how big Moose poop is. What is more than one Moose?

Flatbedford said:
...What is more than one Moose?

Moose.

From WikiAnswers comes this explanation:

The word "moose" came to us from Algonquian Indians. Consequently its plural, instead of being "mooses" or "meese", is the same as the singular "moose." That is true of most Indian names whether of a tribe, such as the Winnebago and Potawatomi, or of an object such as papoose. It is also true of many wildlife names not of Indian origin -- for example: deer, mink and grouse.

That is a very cool video. They act just like puppies! Moose collisions are no joke. Not that we have any in RI, but dodged my share in my college years in Plymouth, NH. A 2,000 lb trunk on 5' tall skinny legs makes for a bad collision.

Bobbin said:
I was in high school when a guy in town hit a moose at about 55 mph. The impact killed the moose and it landed atop the hood and roof, parially crushing the latter. The guy was very, very lucky (and wearing a seatbelt in 1976!). He lived about a mile down the highway and drove the vehicle home with the moose on top of it, called the game warden, and within about half an hour there were several townies there "willing to take the meat" (nothing went to waste!). The Ford Ranchero was totalled. The sight of that crushed vehicle has stayed with me all these years, just as the t-boned vehicle in which a friend of mine was maimed for life has.

Lesson: wear your seatbelt all the time and slow your ass down when the light is low and road signs (or good sense) tell you wildlife may wander into your path!

One of my first Lifeflight calls involved a car/moose collision . . . guy in a VW Jetta collided with a moose . . . nearly killed him . . . watched him go into shock as we were cutting him out of the car with the Jaws . . . interesting to see from a medical perspective . . . not so interesting if you're the family member or friend . . . fortunately the guy lived, although you can still look at him and see that he's not quite the same as was before the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.