back stack turning pink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
I've gone through about 2 cord so I was checking out the back stack and noticed some pink or purple mold spots about the size of a dime on a number of splits. Most of the beech is dotted with mildew too. Anyone ever see purple mold before?weird

When it's wet and humid in the warmer weather, sometimes I get mold/fungus growing on my oak firewood that glows in the dark. Kind of spooky when I'm walking past the woodpile down to the barn early in the morning!

I've had some fresh rounds mildew. the mildew doesn't seem to live long, but hte mark lasts a long time.

Burn it.

When I was a kid, I was down in the Mountains of NC and we worked on a project that required some excavation. We were out playing after dark and noticed the entire site was glowing. There were bits of broken wood chunks (roots mostly), that glowed green just like a glow stick or fire fly. The locals said it was fox fire. Not sure if that was a root or vine or small tree? But the sap sure glowed in the dark. I've never seen anything like it since.

I found a daytime picture I took of the glow in the dark fungus.

Attachments

• glow in dark fungus.jpg
    glow in dark fungus.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 361
PapaDave said:
quads said:
I found a daytime picture I took of the glow in the dark fungus.

I get stuff like that on splits in the stacks that get less sun and wind. Burn it.
Never seen any glow in the dark.
All of my stacks are in the woods, so don't get much sun and little wind. It only glows in the dark when it's warm and damp, like right after a springtime thunderstorm. That particular split was burned a couple years ago. I wonder if the smoke glowed in the dark?

I burn mostly beech and you name it, I've grown it on my wood. I get some bright orange fungus that looks pretty cool.

Very VERY Unsafe! Do not burn that stuff!!

Fortunatly for you, I am not that far away. I will help you out this one time by getting rid of that bio-hazard for you :cheese:

screw the moldy hardwood. I'm only gonna burn pine from now on unless my chimney leaves me. ;-P I already have hairy palms and some early baldness. Seriously though I had to run outside and see if it was glowing but it wasn't. I have no qualms about burning it, I just thought it was weird and wanted to share it with my 'wood buddies on the computer'. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.